Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btropical256

alocasia seed planting medium

btropical256
16 years ago

Hey thanks to many for there help in making my self pollination of my alocasia calidora to set berrys. I just harvested the berrys right now and i have removed the berry around the seed and they are soaking in water right now. I counted 42 seeds that are soaking. So my question is what is a good medium to start them in and i will be planting them right away. I was wondering if miracle gro potting mix would do it or should i use something with better drainage or whatever. Any tips?

{{gwi:393649}}

Comments (10)

• lariann
    16 years ago

The Miracle-Gro mix is fine for starting them; just don't let it be too wet. Once they germinate and have a few leaves, then you can give them some half-strength Miracle-Gro soluble fert. Watch and see if you don't get some different looking seedlings, ones that are not like the Calidora.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

• btropical256
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes that is one thing i will definitely keep an eye out for is variations. Hopefully something is remarkable different. I did some research that day of harvesting and planted them in the same soil i was growing my amorphophallus titanum in as it was very similar to what they said was recommended and it has great drainage so they are now in a seedling tray with a humidity dome and a heating mat under them and the soil temperature is near 90 They were sprayed with a fungicide also . I would have kept the tray outside and let them start out there but temperatures are up and down too much now so this would probably be best in a more controlled location.

• exoticrainforest
    16 years ago

The reason you are likely to get variations is 'Calidora' is a hybrid of Alocasia odora and Alocasia gageana. A. odora can grow quite large (12 feet or better) while A. gageana rarely grows over 6 feet. There are several variations and/or hybrids of Alocasia gageana and one is called Alocasia 'California'. That one was used to cross with Alocasia odora to get the newer hybrids. Actually, you don't need to do anything to get pollination. These are self pollinators. I've got both species in my atrium and have to throw away seeds each summer or they will overtake the place.

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

I didn't know they needed to be so hot to germinate. I have 1/8 germination right now and it's sitting in my greenhouse heated to 50 at night. I guess I'll move them to the top of the coffeemaker!
    These are seeds from my alocasia calidora that pollenated itself and I didn't even know it until later on.

• btropical256
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well currently 11 germinated already and every day there are more that sprout. 11/42 so far. Some have put up a leaf already, a very small leaf.

• right_coaster
    16 years ago

I had 12 seeds that I planted in Black Kow, I kept them moist at all times and I had 100% germination!! I have 12 3inch Borneo Giants and will soon be moving them out of the trays and into small pots. The Black Kow seems to hold moisture very well which I think the Borneo Giant likes.

• btropical256
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow thats an awesome germination rate. Yea keeping them moist is needed to get them to sprout quick. With my tray i check it like 2 times a day and at times the center of the tray dries first and also noticed how all the ones that sprouted are along the edges of the tray and it moves in from there. starting with the sides. Even though i have them in a humidity dome it seems to lose moisture easily and probably due to the heat mat.

{{gwi:393650}}

{{gwi:393651}}

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

I didn't move mine, but they are coming up really well. I think I only have like 7 seeds, but it looks like maybe 5 sprouts when I checked the other day. Cool!

• aroideana
    16 years ago

Isn't it strange that I got seed set on the same plant at the same time , but down under here in Australia ?
    I have very good germination as well , and am really hoping for some variation , good luck you other growers , esp. with winter coming for you .

• btropical256
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yea i wish you luck as well. 2 of them show variation already. One has a very pointed leaf and is not rounded at all its very long narrow and pointed i started removing the cover as the half that germinated are 2 inches tall and were going to break and they are taking it well as they dont seem to be hard plants to aclimate as far as humidity.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA