Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brpinson_gw

ID needed for philodendrons

brpinson
16 years ago

Bought these at orchid nursery..no tags, but the lady said they were both philodendrons...I'd never seen anything like them, both leaves are velvety..they were only $2.00 each and I couldn't resist...one is in a 4 inch pot and the larger one is in an 8 in pot and really has outgrown that.

{{gwi:393823}}

{{gwi:393825}}

Comments (9)

• Martina DeLuca
    16 years ago

The top one is Philodendron gloriosum and the second one is Anthurium crystalinium. Great price for them!!

• brpinson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for such a quick response. Glad to know they were a good buy since I was there for orchids and these were really an impulse buy (the nursery was Carter and Holmes..a great way to spend the day if you are ever in the area). I live in South Carolina and plan on bringing them both in, but really have no idea as to the cultural requirements of either one..any tips?

• brpinson
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just googled both of these...you are GOOD at id'ing! I did get a good buy...naturally, they have both gone up alot in my estimation now! I went for orchids (and got those) but found myself highly "distracted" by some of their other things...also got 3 alocasias (these were marked) of amazonica, hilo high color, and frydek (I think)..the foliage is gorgeous and a really nice contrast to the orchids (which although i love them are not remarkably pretty unless they are blooming). I don't really need to start another plant obsession, but I feel one coming on! Thanks again--barb

• Martina DeLuca
    16 years ago

Barb, once you get started in Aroids it's hard to stop. They are a great complement to orchids. 6 years later, I am now trying to find more rare Alocasias to keep my obsession going.

Frydek is very finicky. It needs to dry out between watering. If it gets to wet, it will start declining.

Good luck with them.

• aroideana
    16 years ago

Some of the best Alocasias & Anthuriums I have seen are cultivared by Orchid growers . They seem to have the knack for feeding and light watering that the more exotic species need.

• aroideana
    16 years ago

btw , the spotty 'Hilo' is not really an Alocasia but a Xanthosoma . I just dig one up to transplant and the tuber and offsets are nothing like Alocasia . The leaf shape is also much closer to most of the Xanthosoma .

• bihai
    16 years ago

Those are going to get a lot bigger so make certain you allow them enough space. Philodendron gloriosum is a creeper, in runs along the ground and is used mainly as a bed filler where its hardy. I have never had any luck getting it to climb. The leaves can eventually attain a length of over a foot (15+ inches)

Anthurium crystallinum is the same way, it starts out looking all small and innocent and when you start getting mature leaves they are 12-15+ inches long. It doesn't creep though, its stable

Here are a few photos of some of mine, the first shows both P. glor and A. cryst, the 2nd mainly P. glor.

{{gwi:74246}}
    {{gwi:393829}}

• exoticrainforest
    16 years ago

In Colombia, Philodendron gloriosum can reach a blade size of 3 feet (90cm). At Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Miami they have many on display that easily exceed 2 feet (60cm). Some are grown in deep shade and others in very bright light with no difference in size. However, many collectors have discovered the tissue cultured specimens which are now commonly sold rarely exceed 1 foot (90cm). Some people may get lucky, but it now appears tissue culturing chemicals actually stunt the growth of many species.

A great example is Philodendron xanadu. That one rarely exceeds 1 foot blade size but it is now believed the actual species has been found in Brazil and the actual one is much larger in size. Every single specimen of Philodendron xanadu sold to date has been a tissue cultured specimen! Julius Boos, who is a personal friend along with Dr. Tom Croat of the Missouri Botanical Garden did all the research on that species. A new paper will soon be published explaining in part the tissue culture problem.

• bihai
    16 years ago

While they may reach that size under perfect "in habitat" conditions in their native setting, and also in the near-perfect climate in Miami, most people can never hope to grow these or many other tropical plants to their fullest natural potential in home settings, whether they are tissue cultured or not. Those with dedicated climate controlled growing environments do stand a much better chance at seeing them get large, but they are just as rewarding as the big guns if well grown and well cared for at a smaller size. People who are fortunate enough to have growing areas (like me) sometimes find that all that extra care makes for plants that get a whole lot bigger a whole lot faster than you bargained for, LOL. Then you end up thinning and composting plants.

The easiest philodendrons for me are ones that climb. I have plenty of vertical space, but my ground space for creepers like gloriosum is somewhat limited.

Sponsored