Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Dracontium prancei bloom

bluebonsai101
18 years ago

Hey All, I just had my first ever Dracontium bloom.....Dracontium prancei.

{{gwi:394017}}

This is a somewhat smaller species as you can see, and it blooms from a small tuber. Still, all in all, I loved it :o) Dan

Comments (11)

• kellyschofield
    18 years ago

Dan,
    Nice pictures!!! Still waiting for you to send me a few of those extra tubercles that always pop up on top of the tuber. :) It's hard to get 'em to sprout, but I'd love to try for some Drac. species I don't yet have. Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Kelly

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Kelly,

We'll see what I get once they grow and go dormant again. I've only got 3 of this species though along with a couple of gigas, polyphyllum, pittieri and my unknown species so they are in very short supply. They are all just starting to grow now :o) Dan

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Very nice Dan, my favorite genus of the tuberous Aroids. I know you said this one stays small, but how big does D. prancei get?
    Michael M.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

How big is that spathe? You said it was small, but please give us the dimensions if you can???? Love the photo and the plant, Dan!

Susan

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Susan, The influorescence is only 3.5 inches tall and they can only get to a max of 6-8 inches tall from what I have read on the IAS site.

Michael, I think this is my favorite genus as well, although they can be a bit tough in my small amount of experience....much like titanum or hewitii or some of the other Indonesian species of Amorphs they need to be kept just slightly damp when they go dormant......too much water.....rot.....too little water....dessication....I'm still very much working on it, but I'm sure trying hard. I think the plant on this one only gets a few feet tall rather than the 15 feet plus for some of the monsters of the genus!!

Thanks to all for the nice words about the photos :o) Dan

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

My Dracontium gigas finally went dormant this summer...after continually putting out new leaves for the several years ive had it. Dormancy lasted about 4 months and just recently it put out a new leaf...just in time for winter! Dan, have you ever grown them from seeds? I recieved a few recently but no spouts yet...I guess they can take a while though, as ive waited months for Anchomanes and Amorphophallus to sprout.
    Michael M.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Michael, I just got seed of Dracontium puruvianum a week ago, likely from the same person you did. I know a few others that got them as well. I have been told that they are slow to germinate....more like hewitii than titnaum for example....we shall see. I really hope they come up nicely!! Unfortunately, I've lost a couple during dormancy, but I think I've learned my lessons....or so I hope :o) Dan

• aroideana
    18 years ago

This specie can have an infloresence about 18" high , this is on a very well established mature plant . Have a flower on one now , so will take a picture . The same plant had a very nice display of foliage earlier this year , it stayed on well into winter , as it was so warm and wet . But now the heat is on and no rain in sight for months . Petiole was approx 7' , and very attractive markings . I have grown seed of this sp. They did take a long time to germinate.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Awesome, would love to see a pic. The ones on the IAS site are not that great to be honest and so better pics would be lovely to see. What I love about the Dracontium is that they have multiple petioles at the same time which is really pretty to see!! I've got another one from your neck of the woods about to open up......It is an Am. galbra from the Berry Springs area. Assuming the weather cooperates when it gets open I'll post pics, but we are heading into winter and I do not want to take it out when it is around 2-5C which is where we are at now in the mornings and evenings....ugh!! This guy is soooooo much prettier than the one that is pictured on the IAS site and you would never realize they are even related :o) Dan

• aroideana
    18 years ago

Dan, just posted a pic in the gallery of my large flower , please email me and I can send you higher res. pix .

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi aroideana, What a beautiful influorescence!!! Do you have another one flowering so that you can get seed?? The petiole on all of the Dracs are just wonderful I think....so heavily mottled and the ones I've grown are also sort of reptilian rough :o) Dan