Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevelau1911

Having trouble growing amorphophallus titanum

stevelau1911
9 years ago

I grew about 18 a titanum seeds, sprouting around a dozen of them last year, but most of them grew very slowly, and I think I made a mistake of bringing them out under full sun too quickly. It doesn't look like they could handle it.

Right now, I only have 1 remaining seedling which still hasn't put out a new petiole yet, but it seemed to darken up its leaf once I brought it indoors. Does this plant actually do better inside?

Here's what I have.

I am also trying again at germinating a couple dozen more seeds this year, now with better experience.

Comments (11)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

That's not a very happy looking plant. They like high humidity and in those conditions can take a bit more sun. But generally bright light in the shade seems to suit them best. They are reasonably easy to grow but temperature is important. A lot of people grow them succesfully indoors

• stevelau1911
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That plant is actually improving now with indoor conditions, and likely close to putting out a new petiole, and I have them on a heat mat that keeps the soil temperature at least 75F.

The new seeds have humidity domes. I just hope that the north side window in the winter will be enough to give them some nice growth.

• stevelau1911
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have 33 seeds started, some starting to sprout now, but I know they will take until spring to finally get leaves. I have them under north window light now, but do intend to turn on the t5 lighting once I see that they are close to producing full leaves.

I now know that they definitely need soil warmth, and cannot handle too much light, or temperature fluctuations since their roots are pretty sensitive. Here's one of them.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

33 of them????? If they all survive into maturity you could be in trouble, LOL. Hope you have a big (and tall) house.

• stevelau1911
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know some people locally with greenhouses, and I also intend to sell off most of them if I can get many of these to take well.

So far, it looks like most of them are coming to life.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

You shouldn't have a problem, they are relatively easy to get going. I had 14 seedlings but when I went away for a lengthy time the automatic irrigation played up. I lost all but 2 which luckily were still getting water. They don't like 6 weeks without watering.

• lomodor
    9 years ago

i'll take pics soon..my 1st seed planting of titanums is going well.. 14 .. i agree with they dont like much temp swing..to hot or to cool..
    ive put up 2 indoor greenhouses..temps stay within 74F- 76F (23 C-24.5 C) day and nite..
    i also use a bottom heat pad..
    im having great success with using my potting mix on bottom 1/2 of pot..with sphagnum moss above that..with the seed in the moss..i have great drainage,but with the moss the seed never dries out..
    even my leaf cuttings did well.. i really have to repot the leaf cuttings..pulled one out of moss..and WOW..tons of roots..and start of tiny baby tuber.. yea!!
    ?? tropic.. hows that flowering decus-silvae tuber doing?? have u removed it from pot after the flowering?
    btw.send us some of that warm tropical weather my way.. it was 12F ( 11 C) outside this morning.. BRRRRR

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Dave, that was a gigas. After it withered I checked the tuber and it's about the same size as always. I thought it'd be a small shrivelled mess, but no. My A. bulbifer are flowering like crazy. Started with 2 flowers (inflorescences), then about another 4, now 2 with a few more coming up. I think I'm going to have to cut off a few of them. So far the wind is benign (away from the house and main garden). The smell isn't overpowering, but it is definitely off. There's dozens and dozens of leaves coming up. If the konjacs try to get in on the act next year as well it'll be big trouble.

Certainly got plenty of warmth here. Average maximum temp for October was 38.5C, so far for November it 38.2C. But November is the last month of spring. (By the way, wouldn't 12F be more like -11C? Typo?) Tomorrow I'm heading over to Queensland. Should be a bit cooler.

• stevelau1911
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's how the seeds look starting out.

I hope by the spring time, I can have a good number of these guys with developed leaves, and I know from exp that they cannot handle too much light at once so it may even be better to grow them indoors completely, or have most of them with 80% shade at least starting out as small plants.

• stevelau1911
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's an update on how the seedlings look. Some of the nubs are over 1/2 inch in length now, but they do grow super slowly.

{{gwi:2122327}}

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Looking good. Be sure to keep the warmth up to them. Today I planted the tuber from my original leaf cutting into a pot with one of the older titanums. Hoping that's going to give it some encouragement.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH