Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repot ideas anyone??

Posted by bihai z8B FL (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 12, 06 at 20:11

I have this really large Alocasia loweii. It sbeen in this pot for about 10 or so years. It has 5 trunks. One comes out of the pot, and curls down all the way to the ground and back up. You can see the dilemma in these 2 photos.

I want to repot it but I am not certain what to do with the "big curl". It has roots growing out of the very bottom where it touches the tarmac. If I cut it off will it re-root?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repot ideas anyone??

What a glorious mess, Bihai! I would guess you could cut it off and root it, and maybe even root pieces of the stem. If you had to outside it would probably get frosted and come back from the roots, right? So you wouldn't have anything to lose by trying, anyway. I don't envy you trying to get it out of the pot even! But it's a beautiful plant.

o
RE: Repot ideas anyone??

To easy , but wait until Spring bihai, the large bent stem will do best laid on the ground/surface of potting mix with the base planted . It will straighten up and shot all along the stem . You are going to get heaps of corms outta that pot. The tip will root very easily if cut off .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here