Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiarella_gw

Re:overwintering Black Magic and bananas

tiarella
18 years ago

I live in Zone 6 NJ and have always overwintered these plants by continuing to grow them indoors where their leaves lighten and they grow slowly-which is okay with me. I was wondering if I am giving myself too much work; I have many other plants- namely orchids which require a bit of attention in the winter. Could I overwinter the Black MAgic and bananas by cutting them back and placing them in unheated basement ave winter temp about 55 degrees F and watering them sparingly? When would be a good time to bring them out of their dormancy? safe planting out date is around Mother's Day here. I also have a white bird of paradise plant-could this also be treated the same way? Thanks for any input.

Comments (3)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Your Black Magic should be okay overwintering in your unheated basement. Some people here have had some problems with tuber dessication in dry soil, so you might want to water just barely. (Well, I would if it were me - just as you suggested). I don't usually introduce tropicals until the nights are pretty warm - 60'ish. I don't want there to be too much temp variation between indoors and outdoors, so they don't suffer too much stress.

Black Magic can be grown in the ground here. Zone 6 is pushing it, unless you have a really nice microclimate for it, and mulch it really good after first frost.

I am sure someone else who knows more than I will jump in here with more ideas.

Susan

• marquest
    18 years ago

My Black Magic has been wintered just as you described, I bring it in before the frost takes it down. I water is once a month (1/2 glass of water). It seems to be one that cannot be dry and come back.

• cheerpeople
    18 years ago

I've kept my black magic as a houseplant for 2 winters now. It barely hangs in there, making less and smaller leaves until going back out...

I heard they can't go into dry-dormant storage as they are rooty and have no bulb to speak of so I haven't tried it.
    I guess Marquest isn't really have them go dormant if watering- they are just light challenged! ( hi M!. Marquest is really good in the winter storage dept)

I have kept my white flowering bird of paradise as a houseplant for 1 winter so far. I put them both on the sill even tho they get quite cold in the winter- they do ok.

The GBOP is in the same pot all year whether in or out.
    It grew a giant root (leg!)out teh drain hole when outside but I had to lop it off to bring in and it is fine.
    I heard GBOP won't bloom until root bound so my pot is not oversized. I was warned to bring that one in before frost hits it.
    :)
    Karen