Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unprofessional

Good starter amorphophalus?

unprofessional
14 years ago

I'd love to try my hand at this genus, and was wondering if there was a recommendable species to start with? Would love one with a colorful blossom, or just something really interesting.

Comments (8)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Konjac. Easy and reliable. IMHO.

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

Yep, konjac is cheap, easy and in zone 7 and higher completely hardy in the ground....maybe zone 6 (I've had many survive in the ground here in Pittsburgh)......gets large, has a very large inflorescence.....the best for a beginner. Other easy one would be Am. albus (small species) and if you are in zone 8 or higher most any other one to be honest.....a very easy species to grow is Am. titanum but requires heat all year long and is nearly evergreen so a bigger hassle.....go with konjac first then others. Best of luck :o) Dan

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, much! I'm in south central michigan, and would like to work up to a titanum, but figured it would be best with something else. Heat and light isn't an issue for me. :)

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

I grew up in Jackson, MI. If you have a GH then honestly there are very few Amorphs one would consider difficult to grow....some to be sure, but not many. Just pay attention to their dormancy requirements and take a look at the old posts on the aroid-l and you will have no problems at all......I used to have a ton of species, but got rid of most of them because they would not conform to my growing conditions without a GH......now I grow the few that will, plus a few titanum and my favorite aroid, Dracontium :o) Dan

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Neat! I'm almost exactly a half hour south of Jackson, right on the line between Hillsdale and Lenawee county. I love trying new things - started growing lotus this past year, and have been getting into succulents a lot. It's fun to have things growing in the winter downtime, too.

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

I actually grew up in Vandercook Lake which you likely know......graduated 30 years ago now and haven't lived there in 28, but still visit my mom.

You will have a lot of luck with konjac for sure.....and in Michigan there is a lot of sand so drainage and water will not be a problem!! Every now and again they have Am. titanum seed on ebay which is the way to go since they are almost 100% guaranteed to germinate......they are nearly evergreen.....for me they will go dormant for maybe 2 months once they decide to shut it down. Dracontium are far rarer than any Amorph in my opinion, but the inflorescence is not impressive on most (the influorescence on most Amorphs are also not very impressive in my opinion). If you can get a Dracontium polyphyllum this is an easy one......mine has been dormant for maybe 2 months in the past 5 years and I grow them in front of a window for the winter on a heat mat.

Best of luck :o) Dan

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

Unprofessional......if you want a few free offsets send me an e-mail directly and I will be happy to send you a couple for shipping costs. You will have to grow them for a couple of years to get them to flowering size, but no point in paying money for something like this :o) Dan (plantguy@zoominternet.net)

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plant people are the best people. =)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES