Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

What's you FAVORITE Anthurium (and why?)

bihai
16 years ago

Many people like a certain plant for a specific reason. For plants with flowers, maybe its the color, or the petal shape. For foliage plants, maybe its the leaf shape, or perhaps variegation.

What's your favorite Anthurium?

I think at the moment, (of ones I have in my collection ONLY, not ones on my wish list) my favorite is A. polydactylon. Why? Becuase its an anthurium that really doesn't look like an anthurium. Its odd, and unusual. It climbs (always a plus in my growing area, where stuff can get engulfed by predatory ground-hugging plants in what seems like a day or two.)

I only have 3 "radial" anthuriums, and polydactylon is not the most rare (pedantoradiatum is), but so far, its poly-D in the top slot

{{gwi:394155}}

Comments (19)

• araceaelover
    16 years ago

I have only one Anthurium, so my answer is very easy.

A. Gracile.

I bought this plant again after killing my first one last December.

I have grown this one for 3 months now without killing it.

It has not put on any new growth, but otherwise seems to be doing OK. It is not dying, all leaves but the oldest seem to be maintaining color and vigor.

It is planted in orchid mix with just a touch of peat based potting soil and perlite added.

I have it growing indoors in an eastern facing exposure.

I chose to try not to kill this species again because I like the fact that it is self pollinating and because of its wide distribution. I thought that it should make a very easy re-birth of my Anthurium collection.

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a gracilis. I just harvested almost 100 seeds from it and planted them. Waiting to see what happens, LOL! May have lots of kids soon.

• fozebear
    16 years ago

I hesitated to join in here because there are some really serious aroid collectors here. I love the floral variety and have all types. They reward me with amazing blooms with practically no work on my part. I have plants that have "flowers" that are over a year old and are still beautiful. Every winter I lug the 25 or so plants that I have up to the veterinary clinic where I work. There they are enjoyed all winter by the entire staff and clients. I just love them.

{{gwi:394156}}

{{gwi:394157}}

{{gwi:394159}}

{{gwi:394161}}

{{gwi:394162}}

{{gwi:394163}}

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

fozebear, I love the flowering ones too! I have the same ones you do. My favorite from the ones you posted is #4. I bought it here under thename Anthurium "Tivoli".

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a few photos of some of my flowering varieties on my website, take a look if interested.
    http://www.att.net/p/PWP-tropica

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropica

• chris_e_uk
    16 years ago

My favorite is the Anth. Spectabile, huge hanging leaves transform my tropical greenhouse into a mini rainforest more than any other.

• fozebear
    16 years ago

Very nice site and photos bihai. The Tivoli is an attention grabber. I'm so glad that Anthura is releasing more plants for pot culture. It's getting easier to find interesting varieties. I also love M. verde. The combination of new and antique flowers on the plant makes it different. It is one of two plants that I have that has blooms over a year old.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

I can't pick just one because it seems I always see another and want to have it lol! Don't have all that many yet -but hey, I'm workin on it :D

bihai: Wow what a cool link! I like the rising sun philo with the snake! What kind of snake is he? He is really gorgeous. I also liked the Cirrhopetalum 'Thai Spider'.
    Where do you get your inspiration for all your plant placements etc.? (From nature or are there certain books that one can defer to?)

fozebear, I enjoyed your nice bright photos, thanks for sharing.
    ~SJN

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I appreciate your positive comments.
    Mainly, in the early days of the growing space, I had to place my plants with an eye toward allowing them room to spread, because I planted many heliconias and gingers that spread via rhizome. That was a large mistake, and I ended up removing many of them and relegating them back to container culture. I replaced them with many different genera of plants with an eye toward diversity of shape/for, texture and color.

My main inspiration came from physically touring places that had tropical greenhouse rooms set up as actual in ground (as opposed to mainly container) plantings (Marie Selby Gardens in Sarasota, the Fairchild Gardens Tropical House in Miami, the Butterfly Rainforest here in Gainesville, the Butterfly Museum in Key West, The Dallas Aquarium, and others.

Now I have my plants arranged so that larger ones shade (but don't OBLITERATE) ones that need to be shaded, and I make certain that climbers have something to climb on. Orchids and hanging things like epiphytic jungle cacti and ferns and hoyas and dischidias etc can be tucked in here and there almost everywhere.

When I was planting the beds, I did try to arrange plants so that there were different textures, heights and colors that might compliment each other.

The growing space has just kept on evolving, its only 5 years old.

• fozebear
    16 years ago

You definitely deserve praise for your design, bihai. That is my biggest challenge with any garden project. I visualize it ok but in the end it never seems to grow in the direction that I had in mind. I always end up digging and moving, digging and moving. I either have gaps or one plant is swallowing up the others.

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Its fun, I have a plan to build a rock wall with a drop fall that goes into a pondless waterfall. Maybe this winter, LOL

• fozebear
    16 years ago

Oh...we dare to dream................ I have a plan to someday own a MONDO greenhouse.

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine was not really all that expensive. We budgeted it into the purchase of the house when we bought it. The only thing I regret is, NOT MAKING IT BIGGER!!!!!

16 years ago

Those rockwalls look really cool. I've been seeing a few of them on the net lately with misters built in and little pockets for everything.
    Well since we are daring to dream LOL....One thing I really want to do is make one of those 'underwater' reefs that are made from succulents that look like sea plants, starfish etc. (underwater/succulents now is that an oxymoron ;p) I have a really good article that I printed out a while back but now I cant find it on the net! grrr... here is another link I found that sort of gives the same idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: underwater reef

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW that is truly, TRULY cool! Sunset always has the most innovative stuff and cool ideas. When we lived in California I subscribed to it. I probably still SHOULD just for ideas like that! SOuthern Living isn't near as good, IMO!

16 years ago

I was born in So Cal and lived there when I was very young. I also have lived in the deep south (louisiana) I really prefer the south because (crazy me) I love the heat and humidity! You're right sunset always seems to have good ideas. Southern Living has great recipes though, I think that's the only reason I ever subscribed to it then lol.

Is the pondless waterfall those ones that have a screen of some sort that is covered with lava rock or gravel and the water goes through and is pumped back up to the waterfall?
    I bet this idea would work with the underwater reef thing too! I have a fountain bubbler plans with the same principal it doesn't look too hard ...Now, just gotta come up with the plant list for what would work and look really funky lol!! I've been snooping around the hypertufa forum looking for ideas for making homemade rocks.
    ~SJN

• tontom
    16 years ago

hi bihai, i live in thailand,So love to Breeding Anthurium for new Cartivar,
    I wanna share my experiences
    in this site.
    Have some apart of my conllection to show.
    {{gwi:76387}}
    {{gwi:76389}}
    {{gwi:76391}}
    {{gwi:76393}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Anthuriumthailand

• anthuriumgirl
    15 years ago

Hi everybody.

I've tried and tried to put my message as well as pictures up on here, but it keeps rejecting them. Can someone please tell me an easy way to upload them onto here. Thank-you.
    Cya.

• clibanarius
    15 years ago

Cya,

I don't know how to upload images directly into Gardenweb, but if you already have your pictures online (your own web page, flickr, etc.), you can put them here using standard HTML commands. I had typed an example here, using a picture of my favorite looking anthurium (don't have it myself) from a commercial website, but got a stern anti-spam warning! Whew!

Cheers,

Alan

Sponsored