Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colombian Aroid dentification

Posted by Pitter_Col (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 20:52

Can anyone help me identify this plant which I found growing in "cloud forest at 6000'?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Pitter/Flowers Trees/P1260106.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colombian Aroid dentification

It a type of Antherium. Nice shingle plant in the background.

o

If you were in an area of high endemism, and the area has not been explored, it could be a new species of anthurium. Reminds me of Red Beauty, but the coloration is different. Larger photos will help in IDing it. You could also post this at the Aroid ID center where botanists have IDed plants there. Go to aroid.org

o

I agree planty...nice shingler, probably Marcgravia sp. Cant help you on the Anthurium though.

o

Thank you all. I'm just getting started at this.

o
More Complete Image

Here is a more complete photo of the plant:

o

I've had the shingles, and they are not nice!

But, gorgeous plant photo and plant! There is another aroid forum site: http://blueboard.com/aroid, that you might try as well. If it is not an anthurium, you'll find out for sure because there are a lot of experienced people who grow anthuriums and philos on that site.

Beware - if it is a new plant - you will get them all excited and hysterical!

SUsan

o

Pitter_Col-
I don't know the identification either, but I enjoy your photos. You are lucky to have such plants growing "in your backyard". I have been close to the Columbian border, in northwest Ecuador, and the area there is very beautiful and similar to your photo. Apparently many of the aroids (and other plants) in that region have not yet been scientifically described!! There is a lot waiting to be "discovered".

susanlynne- Great sense of humor!!

o

Woodnative,
Didnt we trade Monsteras a few years back? Still looking for an ID on that little beauty. Email me when you get a chance.
Michael M.

o

That is one of the most amazing pics of an Anthurium i have ever seen you can tell by flower it is an Anthurium, it must have been great to have been in amongst all that plant life and yes very nice shingle in pic too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here