Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

What's your favorite Philodendron? (and why?)

bihai
16 years ago

Same as the anthuriums, I have an all time favorite Philo from the ones that I grow. Mine is Philo. verrucosum. WHat's yours?

I love this philo the most, because it is simply breath taking. The subtle iridescent sheen to the leaves...the beautiful pattern and veining...the astonishing red highlights on the underside when new leaves unfurl....I bought this plant from Enid at Natural Selections Exotics quite a while ago now, and it has established itself and climbed about 5 ft up its totem. It took a while to get going, but once it did, it was so worth it.

{{gwi:394182}}

Comments (25)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

If I had that one it would be my favorite too :) The underleaves look like flames- too cool! I also like colored leaves and variegations etc. I think I read something about tropical plants and if they had purplish or reddish under thier leaves that it helps them to absorb certain types of light that bounces off the rainforest floor?? Can't remember how it went exactly.

Right now my fav. is pink princess philo because I just got it and have to play with it lol.
    ~SJN

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love Pink Princess as well. I have 3 large ones that all came from the same plant. It was a tiny neglected thing with I got it (as a "please save this!" from a friend) and it has done very well for me.

• fozebear
    16 years ago

That is a beautiful philo! Wow! My pink princess has not done much. Came from Natural Selections as a nice, fat healthy vine but has been veeeerry sloooow for me. My favorite philo (sentimental reasons) is my 15 year old selloum. Very common but I had mine as a struggling houseplant for years. Moved down here five years ago and put it outside and it went crazy. They're everywhere in this area and I know mine's not special but I'm still in awe of how huge it grew!

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, fozebear!
    I have Pink Princess too, and for me it was very slow. Mine was a gift from a friend, it was in sad sad shape, it had shrivelled up and almost died. There were some small offsets around the base so I took those and planted them separately in 4" containers, and tried to re-root the main vine. The main vine died but the small plants grew well. Eventually I got about 10 small plants from them.

I have 3 Pink Princess's now, and they have all managed to climb totems to a height of about 4 feet. One developed "all pink leaf syndrome" (MY name for it, LOL, not a scientific one) where it produces all pink leaves...it had to be cut back and allowed to regrow because the all pink leaves have poor to no ability to photosynthesize and the plant might have died. Its okay now though. But its taken a long time! Hang in there, don't give up! Yours will get big too!

• fozebear
    16 years ago

I haven't had the pink leaf syndrome but I definitely have the SLOW leaf syndrome. She's keeping company with my philo "Moonlight" right now and they're quite the handsome couple.

P.S. A sansieviera is hanging around her and I think he has ideas........

• randy_e
    16 years ago

I aquired this one a few months ago. The seller was pretty sure it was self heading but it seems to be vining in nature.
    Randy

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahhh..."Ring of Fire"????
    I have considered springing for that one.

• randy_e
    16 years ago

Yep, "Ring of Fire". I would like to know exactly what it is. If it continues the vining habit I'll train it on a totem and see what the foliage looks like when it matures.
    I have mixed emotions about this one... I really wanted to see it mature as a self heading Philo so I'm a little disapointed BUT being vining in nature it can be shared easier.
    Randy

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If that was a self heading philo, it would be absolutely spectacular. I love all the variegated philos, but I just can't bring myself to pay the huge prices for them. SOmetimes I get lucky and find things down in So FL at sales for reasonable...I picked up 2 variegated monsteras for $15 each recently in Tampa. But those "special nabs" are few and far between. I keep thinking I will find a variegated Florida Beauty on the cheep but so far no luck, LOL

• randy_e
    16 years ago

I find it a lot more rewarding finding oddities in local centers. I found this huge (30 gal) Philodendron selloum with a different variegated pattern in a small nursery here in Central Florida. It was $30.00 and barely fit in the van.
    Randy

{{gwi:394184}}

• bihai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a great find! I have never found anything that good, LOL! But I am always on the lookout.

• chris_e_uk
    16 years ago

Fav Philo is Melanochrysum, probably the most stunning aroid in the whole darn world with Anth. Warocqueanum a very close 2nd!

• tontom
    16 years ago

i collect anthuruium in my country , i have some philodendron , have a small 'Ring of Fire'

My Favourite Philodendron is 'Jet Streak' .

{{gwi:394185}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Anthuriumthailand

• raymikematt
    16 years ago

tontom, I actually think that is a Rhodospatha. Would be interesting to know for sure though.

Michael M.

• anthro_2008
    16 years ago

Philodendron 'imperial red' because its my only one so far and it has lovey red leaves when young that go a deep green

• araceaelover
    16 years ago

Philodendron Joepii because of its rarity and unique leaf shape.

• clibanarius
    15 years ago

bihai,

The (amazing!) philodendron photographed in your original post is clinging to a totem that is wrapped in -- what, exactly? It almost looks like pine straw.

Alan

• bihai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Alan, its wrapped with a layer of old coco fiber from a handing basket. I believe in recycling so I use the old cocofiber to make totems when they rot through the bottom of the basket. You can use a new one if you want, but the old is easier to work with. I have also used old leaking drip irrigation hoses as totems, works great. They are rough and plants like to hang onto them

• clibanarius
    15 years ago

Hmm, so a good totem substrate mostly means having a rough surface to grab onto? At least that's what I'm hoping. I started to make a PVC pipe-based totem that I was going to wrap with coco liner sheeting, but our local source dried up and the internet has the usual problems (large quantities/expensive shipping). I too am particularly fond of recycled tactics, though my wife may be drawing the line at old drip irrigation hoses! How wet/moist do you keep your totems themselves? Anything beyond misting the plant leaves themselves?

Alan

• bihai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't keep them wet or moist at all. There isn't any misting either. I water all my plants once a day in the greenhouse, either with automated overhead sprinklers or a hose if I have time. The exhaust fans run almost 14 hours a day because it gets hot early here and stays hot late, and pulls air across everything, so surfaces dry quickly.

• clibanarius
    15 years ago

Interesting. So I wonder if pine straw could be a decent substrate. I was contemplating using old carpet remnants we have, but then I remembered how bad wet carpet smells! But if it doesn't really need to be kept moist for the plant's sake, maybe it's a legitimate option after all.

• asj2004
    15 years ago

I'm normally a speciest, but my favorite aroids that I've actually seen would be the hybrid Philodendron x evansii (because of its history) or the thin leaved form of the species Philodendron stenolobum. They've both got beautiful large leaves.

Philodendron x evansii:
    http://www.blueboard.com/pahatan/gambar/p_x_evansii_1.htm

Thin form of Philodendron stenolobum (absolutely knockout leaves):

http://www.blueboard.com/pahatan/gambar/p_stenolobum_img7.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Philodendron stenolobum

• asj2004
    15 years ago

Ron Week's P. stenolobum:

{{gwi:394187}}

P. x evansii to the left...

{{gwi:394189}}

• Danielle N
    8 years ago

The next Philo I want to acquire is the melanochrydum. (Black gold). Has anyone had experience with it?

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz