Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpolson37

Colocasia Illustris bloom allergy

dpolson37
15 years ago

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced respiratory allergic reactions from the blooming of colocasia illustris? I am 2 years new to growing these and never knew they bloomed. I brought the potted plant inside about a week ago to keep it safe from frost. A few days later my 4 year old daughter started complaining of difficulty in breathing. Over the next few days it kept getting worse till finally she couldn't sleep. We took her to the Doctor and ended up stumping him. After searching the entire house I noticed that the illustris was in bloom. That would explain the 'lemon pledge' smell throughout the house. Thinking this must be the problem I banished the pot to the garage and opened every window to air out the house. It took almost 2 days for the smell to go away and I'm happy to say my daughter is breathing much better. Below is a photo of the culprit. Will I get rid of it, no way! Was it tough banishing it to the garage, heck yes! I just thought I'd share my experience in case anyone else happens to react the same way.

{{gwi:394215}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022