Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Dracontium sp blooming

bluebonsai101
13 years ago

I know this forum is basically dead, but just in case the guys in Mexico and Australia are checking in I wanted to share my latest Dracontium to bloom. I am waiting to get a positive ID from the guys at the IAS, but it is a beauty for sure :o) Dan

{{gwi:394229}}

{{gwi:394232}}

Comments (8)

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Dan, that really is something. I love the petiole as well, very cool.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad you liked it.....now I just need to figure our what species it is......the only sp. with a wildly colored petiole like this is D. croatii, but it really is not that one based on a lot of other characteristics......I've asked the two top experts to see if I can get an ID so I'll keep my fingers crossed :o) Dan

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just got a note from Tom Croat indicating it is very likely Dracontium spruceanum so it looks like I have an ID for my newest flower :o) Dan

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Saw a dracontium on ebay today. Sellers in Canada though. Thought you might want to take a look though.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, the link he provides is a discussion I started of my plant, D. polyphyllum. I have 3 blooming size plants and they have a total of 8 offsets growing around them so I am pretty much set on that species......thanks for thinking of me though :o) Dan

• aroideana
    13 years ago

Nice one dan , I also have an unknown sp. from Peru that is different to yours , it lacks the spikes and seems to be even more colourful . Yet to flower for me .
    I have spikes galore from several gigas pots and had many flowers on my 3 prancei colonies. Will be planting out a few more patches soon .

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Michael,

Looking forward to seeing pics of some of yours. I really wish these were more widely grown as I find them fascinating.....much more so than Amorphs, but that is just me. I got a tiny D. gigas a few weeks ago so maybe in 5-7 years if I can keep it growing I will see a bloom.....patience I suppose. Tom said that most of theirs perished after the passing of the person that took such good care of them and named several there at MOBOT. How are your D. croatii doing? That is one I would love to get someday if the opportunity arises :o) Dan

• diane_v_44
    13 years ago

Aroids and related are for sure interesting

I do not remember names as most of you do here but do have some growing here in Canada. some I bring into a very cool room for winter
    Some that can live outside year round with leaf cover, from fallen leaves,
    Then in Florida where I have a home and garden some have managed to thrive in my gardens without care for six months in the hottest whether.

ORchids where mentioned and I have an orange tree in Florida with Orchids in it
    I mostly forget them as there is so much else in the garden to attend to when I am there.
    Then I will happen to notice all the bloom one day and a couple of plants will be just full of gorgeous bloom
    They must be happy as they have grown out of the pots and roots are sort of on the tree trunk. I try to remember to feed them and do so usually not long before I am leaving to come back home to Canada. in April
    I only wrote here as I know how sometimes we work so hard to grow an interesting plant, something different and I am the same once I get it going, I lose interest, after a time.
    Yet some of those same plants in their own native environment are no work at all

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals