Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summersunlight

Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?

summersunlight
9 years ago

I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum.
It seems like P. pedatum isn't a terribly uncommon plant, but I don't see very many websites that talk about it (other than the late Mr. Lucas's Exotic Rainforest site of course).

Are any of you growing it? Any special culture tips that apply to this species?
I see that its leaf shape can be very variable. Has anyone noticed that certain conditions seem to cause certain leaf shapes?

Comments (7)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Mine was a lot darker when I bought it, but then it became paler. It's still a good green colour but not the same as at first. Maybe the nursery had pumped it full of fertiliser before. The leaves are pretty much the same as photos I've seen on the internet.

• summersunlight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for replying since it seems like this is a somewhat mysterious plant!

The one I bought has the "oak leaf" leaf shape, which I assume is what you have too, but I noticed that there are photos on Exotic Rainforest that make it seem like it can transition to thinner leaf shapes. I actually find the oak leaf shape most attractive so I am ok with it staying like that, but I was curious about if there is something in particular that changes the leaf form.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

It's a climber. The higher up the side of a tree they get the closer to a mature leaf form they will achieve.

Tropic has a thread addressing this,..here's a link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Can you post a photo of your plant?

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

I suspect mine is a hybrid but looks exactly like yours except the stems aren't as smooth. I planted mine at the base of a tree and it grew up, though not the fastest growing Philo in my garden. Later I cut it off from the pot and so had 2 plants. The one in the tree is still growing normally (slowly) but the stem on the pot has only produced juvenile leaves so far, sort of lance shaped.

Just the other day I noticed the top was broken off the plant on the tree. Obviously an animal (most likely possum) climbed the tree and did the damage on the way up. So now I have 3 plants. The broken piece has the usual adult oak-type leaves so will be interesting to see if it continues that way or reverts to the juvenile form.

• russ_fla
    9 years ago

Summersunshine, I notice that the petioles of your P. pedatum are green. Philodendrons are variable so I may have a different clone, petioles on my plant are dark reddish color. My plant was collected in French Guiana, obtained from a Fairchild Botanic Garden sale in Miami many years ago.

I'm not familiar with how to post pics on this forum, but I'll try tomorrow. The 'Optional Link URL' is completely foreign to me, I may need someone to walk me thru the process.

Russ
    central Florida

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH