Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best preventative for spider mites?

Posted by reptails Missouri (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 07 at 0:40

It's time to move my aroids indoors for the winter. I have built an indoor greenhouse in my outbuilding and would like to know the best prevention for spider mites. I haven't noticed them yet, but sure they will come.

I've read several suggestions of misting with an alchohol and water mixture. Is this safe for aroids? I have also read that oil treatments are effective, but it sounds like a laborious task with 60-70 plants treating each leaf. I would like to stay away from harsh chemicals if at all possible.

I keep the room at 70-75 degrees. I will also put in a humidifier to keep the humidity up. What level should I maintain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best preventative for spider mites?

Most insecticides that are not dedicated "miticides" only "control" spidermites, they don't eliminate them.

There is a miticide available to the home gardener, its called KELTHANE. It does work, I use it, BUT....it doesn't eradicate mites like you would think it should. They will pop back out if you aren't looking, usually somewhere else on some other plant than the one you treated.

I use a double-pronged technique in my greenhouse that seems to work well (and I have well over 75 plants, LOL, more like over 1500 plants).

I spray infestations with Kelthane, ONCE, when I first notice them, and I spray not just the infested plant, but everything within a 2 ft radius. This is for quick knockdown.

Then, a day or 2 later, I re-spray that same area and a little further out (maybe a 3-4 ft radius) with Neem Oil.

This works very well for me personally.

The only way to really eradicate mites, I have been told by others, is to invest in the predator mites, but that's more involved and expensive

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here