Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very rare Philodendron

Posted by bountyhunter_grower 9A (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 26, 08 at 2:09

Hey, has anyone heard of Philodendron "Miniature Selloum"? It looks like a regular selloum with every leaf curled under, 'like a dead spider'.There's a photo in Graff's Exotica. IT IS DEFINATELY NOT A MINIATURE PLANT. Am I the only person to have one? chumleyrobert@html.c

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very rare Philodendron

Its been in TC and is readily available down-under , with stupid name of 'Super Atom'

o

Probably readily available here as well, but this guy seems to be trying to sell based on his Anthurium posts....best to just ignore him and hope he goes away!!

o

So not 'very rare' then!

o

You guys certainly give a warm welcome to a fellow aroid collector. Selling aroids rarely crosses my mind. I just thought this forum could use some excitement by introducing some of the more rare and difficult aroids that you may not otherwise have resourses to obtain.

o

Thank you Aroideana for your information on this particular philodendron. If you would really like to know the origin and the history of this philodendron, I would be happy to share it with you and others on this forum, sinse I personally knew the two plant explorers (horticulturists)who discovered it over seventy years ago and gave it to me. Most people who have aquired one down through the years have got a tip cutting from me and a few others which originally came from the first plant collected in Uraguay, South America in the thirties by Jack Holms and Carl Cowgill who were there collecting selloum seed to bring back to Florida.

o

I think the problem is you tell us about all the supposedly rare plants you have as if we are supposed to be blown away by this.......maybe if you approached it as you did in the last post and included a pic we would all learn something from you rather than you just telling us you have a "rare" plant. The story above is interesting and I personally love to get plants, even common ones, from the original person to collect it or hybridize it......getting some of my Hippeastrum hybrids from Udai Pradhan in India was a great thrill because it came from a true plantsman that made rare and supposedly impossible crosses in the first place!

o

Robert , very interesting information , my 2 plants were sent to me by a nurseryman way over in Perth , Western Australia .
And are still small , I would really like to see a mature plant .

o

Thank you aroideana for your information and 'kind words'. I have just received a new camera and will be forthcoming with photos of the above mentioned aroids very soon, I hope. Sorry for any confusion.

o

Hi Robert,I have tried to send an email to you in regards to this philo( but it bounces) .I have also tried to post a pic on this thread but have had no success.Would you be so kind as to give it(email) again.
Cheers,Judy

o

Thanks , Judy.....chumleyrobert @hot mail.com or wwwchumleycycads. com or 813-478-6697 should do it.
cheers.........Robert would love to hear from you.

o

Robert , Judy pointed me towards some pics of larger potted plants of an unusual Philo that coukld be the one you are refering to . BUT , I would still really like to see a mature plant .

o
RE: Very rare Philodendron & photos*

I am taking new photos, but they are not ready yet Aroideana, but will be soon. However, you can go to this link and see the Philo. "miniature selloum" on Page 4 and again on Page 11 on my showcase of plants on my estate (240 photos) http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff145/chumleyrobert/ Of course the plant has grown a lot sinse then. Robert

o
RE: miniture selloum

Are we sure we're talking about the same plant. You say it is readily available in Australia, but I was under the impression, it was a "new world plant" and not an "old world plant" indigitally. Is this true? Mine having occured indigitally in Uraguay in the South Americas.I was thinking posibly it started as a "sport" in the wild with the Philodendron Selloum naturally occuring there on the mountains. What do you think? It is not that easy to propagate from "back cuttings either. I will almost certainly try to hybridize it with Philo. "Evansii" or Philo "Imbe varigata" during this April/May season though.

o

I wish there was a Philodendron forum this is on of my favorite variety of plants.

o

Kalley, Philodendron is a kind of Aroid, this is a perfect forum for discussing them. I love them too. Feel free to start a discussion, especially with a pic, if you would like. Philos are often discussed on house plant forum also.

o

the so called super atom aka little crunchy is a selloum philodendron that has been irradiated if I am not mistaken....it bears only superficial resemblance to Mr.Chumley very unusual Philodendron, which is not only interesting in appearance, but evidently in it's tolerance to temperatures far lower than most meconostigma Philos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here