Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bountyhunter_grower

Very rare Philodendron

Hey, has anyone heard of Philodendron "Miniature Selloum"? It looks like a regular selloum with every leaf curled under, 'like a dead spider'.There's a photo in Graff's Exotica. IT IS DEFINATELY NOT A MINIATURE PLANT. Am I the only person to have one? chumleyrobert@html.c

Comments (17)

• aroideana
    15 years ago

Its been in TC and is readily available down-under , with stupid name of 'Super Atom'

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

Probably readily available here as well, but this guy seems to be trying to sell based on his Anthurium posts....best to just ignore him and hope he goes away!!

• chris_e_uk
    15 years ago

So not 'very rare' then!

• bountyhunter_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys certainly give a warm welcome to a fellow aroid collector. Selling aroids rarely crosses my mind. I just thought this forum could use some excitement by introducing some of the more rare and difficult aroids that you may not otherwise have resourses to obtain.

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

I think the problem is you tell us about all the supposedly rare plants you have as if we are supposed to be blown away by this.......maybe if you approached it as you did in the last post and included a pic we would all learn something from you rather than you just telling us you have a "rare" plant. The story above is interesting and I personally love to get plants, even common ones, from the original person to collect it or hybridize it......getting some of my Hippeastrum hybrids from Udai Pradhan in India was a great thrill because it came from a true plantsman that made rare and supposedly impossible crosses in the first place!

• aroideana
    15 years ago

Robert , very interesting information , my 2 plants were sent to me by a nurseryman way over in Perth , Western Australia .
    And are still small , I would really like to see a mature plant .

• bountyhunter_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you aroideana for your information and 'kind words'. I have just received a new camera and will be forthcoming with photos of the above mentioned aroids very soon, I hope. Sorry for any confusion.

• brical1
    15 years ago

Hi Robert,I have tried to send an email to you in regards to this philo( but it bounces) .I have also tried to post a pic on this thread but have had no success.Would you be so kind as to give it(email) again.
    Cheers,Judy

• bountyhunter_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks , Judy.....chumleyrobert @hot mail.com or wwwchumleycycads. com or 813-478-6697 should do it.
    cheers.........Robert would love to hear from you.

• aroideana
    15 years ago

Robert , Judy pointed me towards some pics of larger potted plants of an unusual Philo that coukld be the one you are refering to . BUT , I would still really like to see a mature plant .

• bountyhunter_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am taking new photos, but they are not ready yet Aroideana, but will be soon. However, you can go to this link and see the Philo. "miniature selloum" on Page 4 and again on Page 11 on my showcase of plants on my estate (240 photos) http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff145/chumleyrobert/ Of course the plant has grown a lot sinse then. Robert

• bountyhunter_grower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are we sure we're talking about the same plant. You say it is readily available in Australia, but I was under the impression, it was a "new world plant" and not an "old world plant" indigitally. Is this true? Mine having occured indigitally in Uraguay in the South Americas.I was thinking posibly it started as a "sport" in the wild with the Philodendron Selloum naturally occuring there on the mountains. What do you think? It is not that easy to propagate from "back cuttings either. I will almost certainly try to hybridize it with Philo. "Evansii" or Philo "Imbe varigata" during this April/May season though.

• kalley77
    10 years ago

I wish there was a Philodendron forum this is on of my favorite variety of plants.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Kalley, Philodendron is a kind of Aroid, this is a perfect forum for discussing them. I love them too. Feel free to start a discussion, especially with a pic, if you would like. Philos are often discussed on house plant forum also.

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    10 years ago

the so called super atom aka little crunchy is a selloum philodendron that has been irradiated if I am not mistaken....it bears only superficial resemblance to Mr.Chumley very unusual Philodendron, which is not only interesting in appearance, but evidently in it's tolerance to temperatures far lower than most meconostigma Philos

• Kamlesh Singh
    7 years ago

Hi someone please help me leaves of myour prince of orange not opening. First leaf came almost 4 months back. 3 new leaves came after replanting but none opened yet. Colour has changed directly to green. It is in bright indirect light area.. soil always kept moist. I am in India New Delhi... Day temperature goes up to 44'. Photos of plant attached. Pls help, Thanks

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional