Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pothos, "The Pretender"

Posted by tropicbreezent (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 2:28

* Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 11:14

--Tropic, if you have more pics to share, can you post them? Yours and those in the wild.--

(Better late than never.) I've pulled out some photos of Golden Pothos (Epipremnum aurum) in the garden, plus took a few more. They give an idea of the stages they go through and what they look like at maturity.

A young plant starting out on its journey upwards.
gw n 121020 10

Once they're up off they ground they fill out.
gw n 121020 12

A lot of large vines going up with more new ones starting out.
gw n 121020 14

These are 18 to 20 metres up in the trees.
gw n 121020 25

This palm is 15+ metres tall. One advantage palms have is that their fronds will eventually drop. Golden Pothos that attaches to the frond will end up falling away with it.
gw n 121020 27

Climbed up on the shed roof to get this photo.
gw n 121125 07

Up on the same shed, this Pothos is racing the Syngonium to get to the top.
gw n 121125 09

It's a bit difficult to get a proper perspective on the size of the leaves when they're so high up in the trees. Here's one that fell down, that's a standard chair for comparison. Bear in mind that was only a tiny piece of the plant that fell.
gw n 121115 04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pothos, "The Pretender"

That is soooo cooool! Thanks for doing this, tropic! If I ever win the lottery, I want to visit your yard, that's amazing. I feel kind of sad for the ones stuck in your homes but grateful to them for allowing us to have a little piece of a jungle in our non-tropical homes. Kind of mind-blowing that they would put up with it at all.

Do the vines in situ have much roots in the soil at the base? I've wondered about using a basket instead of a pot for some of these epiphytic vines...

o

so the vines never choke the tree or harm it at all just use it for a ladder. very neat thanks for the pics

o

Oops, "stuck in your homes" should be "our" homes.

o

Great shots Tropic and that last scale shot changed everything. I had no idea. Is that a stone/gravel path you built in the 3rd photo?

o

Totally agree, eclayne. Without that chair, I didn't at ALL realize what I was looking at. More wow!

o

I really enjoy these pics as well, i wonder how much it would cost to transplant a family of 4 from the US to there...

o

Purple, the roots ends are always in the soil (except while they're dangling their way down), but they stay in the leaf litter on the surface, not deep down.

Mike, I have a couple of very tall palms that were over taken by the vines, as in right through the canopy/crown, and they're dead. But I don't know whether that can be directly attributed to the vines. The huge trees seem okay, but smaller ones seem to succumb more quickly to Syngonium rather than to the Golden Pothos.

Eclayne, those are actually leaves. I always leave a lot of leaf litter to stop erosion from the heavy wet season rains.

Grab, if you can get a company to sponsor you then you're in for a very cheap transit. We're going through a mining boom with businesses often having difficulty finding staff. How it pans out into the future depends if the Chinese and Indians can keep up their momentum.

o

"they stay in the leaf litter on the surface, not deep down"

I usually find the same thing with the tiny ones in captivity, the roots rarely colonize the depths of a bigger pot.

o

I live in Florida and Pothos climb up oak trees. They get huge and I have been told they will strangle the trees. Here's a shot of an oak in our back yard. It is not a good shot, but you can see the large, green pothos leaves up the tree. I now cut them from the base, but they are very difficult to rid of and have become pests.

I have also grown them as house plants and had no idea how aggressive and large they become.

Jane

o

Hi
I find it interesting that if the vine falls back to the ground ,it will revert to making small leaves again.
Saw them growing wild in Costa Rica with lianas as big as my leg was tempted to swing on them ala "tarzan" lol
Various types of epiphytes were living on them . Have tried many times to duplicate this in my shadehouse but they croak gary

o

fun!

o

Gary, you tried to replicate what? Growing them in your shade house, swinging from the vines and they broke and croaked?

o

Hi
Glad you asked!! lol In several areas of lowland rainforest there were several types of epiphytes growing on the lianas. Most notable were ferns and Broms. In spite of pothos growing like a weed for me withstems approaching arm size the epis. refuse though they grow in pots, baskets with no problem. Any hints on how to establish them?? gary

o

Here in southeast Texas I grow pothos on my pecan tree and can't tell that it hurts the tree in any way. This picture was taken before a very hard freeze in 2009. It is growing back, but not that big yet.

Jim

o

Jim
Hard freeze is about the only thing that will stop pothos or most of the philo family lol growing on a tree is probably the best way. I erred in allowing it to attach to the houseWhat a nightmare to remove !! I confine it to the shadehouse where I experiment with itlol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here