Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caladiums

Posted by tropicbreezent (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 7:00

Just showing off some of my Caladiums that have been emerging from dormancy the past couple of weeks. Don't have any names.

gw n 121103 29

gw n 121103 32

gw n 121115 02

gw n 121115 06

gw n 121115 12

gw n 121115 15

gw n 121115 05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caladiums

ive just never been wild about caladiums really i dont even know why really, i should like them...

caladium rubicundum is a different story, its fantastic!

That one in the first pic is quite nice tho...

o

Nice! One of my favorite plants. Can't wait to buy more next spring! Never seen the first one either. I think the last is Carolyn Whorton. If so, the flowers on this one smell GOOD!

o

The first would have to be a very old cultivar. I got some from an old abandoned homestead. The gardens were developed there in about 1962 and a few years later it was all abandoned. It dies back at the end of the wet season and comes back with the first heavy rains of the new season.

And I also found more at another abandoned homestead some 100 kms from the first. That homestead was built in the early 1950's but don't have a date for when it was abandoned. But I know that it was unoccupied in the late 1960's. So looks like that cultivar has been around for quite while.

o

Hi
one of my favorite aroids except for the dormant period.lol Broke down and bought a couple of the so called
"evergreen" types but find they also go dormant but extend the season by several months. The hybrids called "Stained
glass" have incredible colors and forms . they have transparent sections in the leaves only problem with them is they cost around 5 times the regulars lol gary

o

do they look like the one in my link, garyfla?

Here is a link that might be useful: aroidia research caladiums

o

Hi
Not really , the remarkable feature is the transparent sections in the leaves In my case they are deeper pink fading to light pink at the edges with very dark almost black veins The transparent parts are in the light pink
They also come in odd colors purple yellow and even completely transparent looking like cellophane . Have heard they are hybrids of Caladium with another type of aroid ?? Seem to originate in Asia?? gary

o

Gary, they'd be from Thailand. That's the premier place in the world these days for developing new cultivars and introducing new plants into cultivation.

Just thought I'd update this thread (nothing much else happening on this forum) with photo of one of the Caladiums that's looking quite good now (I believe).

o

Oh that's pretty!! Thanks!

All (gardening) forums are slow. 'Tis the season to... be inside. If only we were all in the tropics... Keep teasing us!

o

Ive come to the conclusion that I really like the one in the first pic, does anyone have any ideas on a name, or source in the US?

o

Purple, thanks. It's a good time of year here now, the rains are setting in and everything is lush and green (or whatever other colours our plants have, LOL).

Grab, as I mentioned before, that must be a very old cultivar. Possibly in the rush for new cultivars and colours the old ones have been forgotten and left behind. (I found an Alocasia in that situation, 'superseded' by all the new species and varieties coming on to the market.) Maybe if you got a chance to look around some older gardens (in a suitable climate) you might find some.

o

never seen the orignal one or that large red one for sale before. I don't care for caladiums much there really picky for me but my favs are "white wings" and "florida moonlight" they look almost the same anyways. very nice pics.

o

Mike, there is a huge range of varieties available, and they keep developing more all the time.

This is one that was already on my place when I moved in. It's very similar to the one in the first photo, but a dwarf version.

o

Hi
Florida produces Caladiums by the gazillions . You can get the older varieties at any of the box stores ,Usually in spring . i usually get packages of them from Walmart
as I tend to lose them over winter due to rains .You can often get 25 for under 5 bucks In your area you'd probably want to dig them in the fall and store over winter in a frost free area. be sure to keep them dry!! lolWonderful landscape plant!! gary

o

It would be so wonderful to be able to enjoy caladiums at this time of year! All us Northerners can do now is look at photos of them from last season. Here's one from last summer. The 'elephant ear' was bought at our local Walmart about 3 years ago. I dig and over winter it each year, then replant in that pot when it gets warm enough. The red/greens and whites were purchased in January 2012 at a nursery just outside of Lake Placid, FL. They did very well, in part I suppose, because they were so fresh. I dug them up in the fall and they are now stored away for winter awaiting warm weather for replanting.

It's been a pleasure to see yours, thanks for the eye candy in January!

Deb

o

They look really nice. Caladiums need a good feed to boost the tubers so they perform extra well the following season. These days there's so many colours and patterns to choose from, it would take a long time to become bored.

o

Thank you tropicbreezent, I really enjoy caladium. The pot is in a good viewing location through the front windows of our home. I usually plant some in a couple of other pots as well. It has to really warm up in our zone 6A before I even dare plant caladium. It's usually after Mother's Day to be safest, and that's a long wait for me!

My Mom called earlier today (she's in central Florida atm) and informed me that the temperature is 80 degrees ;-) So I'm curious, in tropical zones, are caladium dug up and let rest, or are they left in place and do not die back at all?

Also thanks for the reminder about fertilizing. I sprinkle some Osmocote on the 'soil' surface when they get planted. Would a second application, around mid-season, to add energy for the next year be a good idea?

Deb

o

Hi
I'm at the north end of 10 florida. Caladiums go dormant around late Oct. all summer bulbs can be left in the ground IF they can be kept dry . there is another class of caladiums called "evergreen" though i find they go dormant just like the regulars though later and last longer. They're coming up right now while the regulars are still asleep.. I fertilize whenever in active growth but if you need to dig and store during winter I'd hold off to allow them to go dormant. gary

o

Very interesting info about 'regular' and 'evergreen' caladiums and when they go dormant.
:-)
Thanks for the fertilizer advise, that's good to know. I'll think about this post while mixing up fresh medium for the pot next summer. It'll remind me about the importance of ferts for these guys the following year.

Deb

o

Guys can watch my Collection here ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz1Y33VT4Rs

Here is a link that might be useful: My caladium collection

o

i left all my caladiums in pots this year, usually i lift them out and store dry. and store at room temps indoors (no garage).
so now i discovered that my largest ones are waking up - have sprouts and new roots too. i lifted the bunch with roots and discovered that soil in the middle of the pot was not bone dry - and that is after 2.5 mo of no water!
it's too early to start them - not enough light, they'll get leggy by the window. so i can't decide to start watering them a bit or not? i'd prefer to wait 2-3 weeks. but don't want to shrivel up the sprouts/roots.
what to do?

o

Hi
Don't know what to suggest IME once they start there's no stopping probably should be st
ored in cooler temps??
Mine are not coming up and we've had an incredibly warm winter . I did dig and moved them to pots last fall as I planted amazon lily in the bed My "evergreen is up and already has two leaves !! Went dormant in Oct like the regulars. think I'll bite my lip and invest in a few more lol
Good luck with yours looking at the national weather NOT a good time to plant caladiums gary

o

yah, they were prolly 5F warmer then my normal storage temps (63-64F may be?) - i had no time to clean them up, so just left them in pots as is. they went dormant by mid oct as usual.
so i lifted the corm layer with roots out of the pot - quite a shallow pancake now ;). so what if i put it in a cooler spot , around 58F may be? and just wait for 3 weeks? no water. will it be bad? i don't want to dry up the roots, just prevent the corms from sprouting more. they normally stay at 58F thru winter bare, so it shouldn't be worse now with roots and some soil?
normally i put them on the sunny window with a light watering once until they come up like an inch. would that be better? it'll prolly take them 3 weeks to get there and then it'll be march and i should get some more sun.
these are my first, best, largest :).
i've had them for 8yrs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here