Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

orange or purple calla bloom size like white?

cheerpeople
18 years ago

My walmart 'flame" calla- were not orange at all-.

So can anyone tell me as I've never seen one in person-

Is this or any other bright orange or bright purple calla- as big as the fist size blooms you can get with white or yellow calla?

I have seen pastel looking orange and lavendar calla and they are neither bright nor large- I'm hoping there is a calla that is both bright and large in these colors...

Am I dreaming of something that doesn't yet exist? if so...

Who is a good vendor that can send the right color (unlike walmart)?

THX

Karen

Comments (3)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

It may be the size of the tuber you got is not a good blooming size yet. I don't know much about callas yet, but I bought some white (aethiopica) tubers to plant. I also know that if I buy a small lily bulb, I'm like to get a smaller bloom until the bulb increases in size.

I hope someone responds. I think there is a vendor in california or somewhere that sells calla tubers. But, I don't know that the bloom on callas get any larger than the size of your fist. If they do, it's probably because your tuber needs to increase in size (which it will eventually) to produce larger blooms. You're in a colder zone, which means you have to bring yours indoors over winter for storage. I can leave mine in the ground.

Now the color could be something entirely different. May need more sun or less sun - where do you have it located? Also, I have noticed that some catalogs show blooms much brighter and bolder than they actually are "up close and personal". For instance, I have an agastache 'Golden Jubilee' that one photo showed with dark purple blooms, when they are actually light purple and not very showy (the foliage is showy enough for me).

I hope you get some more answers.

Susan

• forester2
    18 years ago

I also grow Flame callas. I found out this summer that there are 2 sizes of colored callas minis and the regular large. I have the "regular" size ones and they do grow to be almost as large as the white variety.
    Flame callas also start out bright yellow and as the "flowers" mature they start taking on a reddish orangish glow beginning on the outside and eventually turning a bright orange red all over and kind of streaky looking.
    I think they are beautiful! (I had them as my wedding bouquet) although not truly orange all over. I think Flame is an appropriate name because flames of fire are not all one color either.
    Your bulb from Walmart may have been to small to see much as the previous posted said. Also plants and bulbs from Walmart are usually just poor quality. That's why they're so cheap.
    Any reputable garden center (where plants are their only business) should have good quality bulbs and tubers.

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thx susan and forester
    Since they are big and bright I will have to press on to find them.
    So far - the walmart ones turned out to be either ivory or pink- not the right plant.
    then two trades fell thru-
    I tried to order from brent and becky's with the rest of the bulb order- but they wouldn't send this time of year so that means I have to order and pay shipping seperately just for them in the spring- which is more expensive to me.

I'll press on- they sound lovely;)
    Thx
    karen

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH