Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant id pls

Posted by grabmebymyhandle 6 Kentucky (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 10:05

they poster has this mislabeled as green dragon, im not sure its even an aroid, although it may be, those do look like aroid leaves and those "blooms" could be aroid Inflorescence. Its certainly not anything im familiar with, and the pic was taken a few hundred mils from me, same usda zone and similar climate.

any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: mislabeled plant on flickr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant id pls

its labeled right there similar to a jack in the pulpit and other types of cobra lillys things like that. they grow alot further north than us. There was some for sale at a greenhouse in sandusky OH I went to over the summer. they can get very large and are very hardy. there are 3 or 4 colors of them if I remember right

o

hmm...Im not sure you looked well enough, green dragons just have one compound leave sitting atop a single petiole, the plant is question has multiple leaves arranged in whorls.

I think the flower looks like an under developed milk weed seed pod of some sort, i dont think this is an aroid at all now...

Here is a link that might be useful: a nice lookin green dragon

o

I looked at it again its the same plant..and the one you posted last is also a green dragon. and If I had to bet theres 10 more plants out there labeled green dragon LOL. you know how many differant plants I have been told are "cigar plants" I think its an overuse of common names really. we may never know what it is, unless you feel like driving to sandusky OH to ask

o

mmk so replace all instances of green dragon in my posts with Arisaema dracontium... certainly you cant mean that its a arisaema?

i think ill repost this in a more active forum, prolly name that plant, seems pointless for 2 guys who clearly have no idea what they looking at to sit and fight about it... :D

o

It's definitely not Arisaema dracontium and doesn't look like any kind of aroid. But it does look like an Apocynaceae (Milkweed family), especially if those are seed pods.

o

I agree, tropic. A. syriaca or incarnata would be appropriate to find in TN with unripe pods in August, the leaves make me lean toward syriaca.

o

It looks like either Asclepias exaltata or Dogbane of some type...
The pods are not quite stout or knobby enough for syriaca, and I've not seen that angle on incarnata seed pods. I'm leaning toward the A. exaltata.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here