Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uniquelydivine

Will My Anthurium Ever Bloom Again?

uniquelydivine
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I got an Anthurium in October 2011. I listened to advice on keeping it in "medium" light and my poor baby suffered.

It went from a full plant with flowers and leaves drooping to a bare minimum. And when I say minimum, about 5 leaves were left.

I managed to nurse it back to health over the past year (repotting, fertilizer and lots of love). She looks great!

My question is: will she ever bloom again? It's been a year since I've had her and I don't see any signs after blooming since she's recovered.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Oh, and I live in NYC, does anyone know where I can get a unique colored Anthurium? I've only seen pink and white here. Mine originally had "salmon" colored flowers. I would like a different color. If anyone knows where I can find a beautiful colored one in NYC, please let me know.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

What is your definition of medium light? Do you have a picture?

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put it next to my bed and light entered the room. That was when I first got it and as a result, it suffered.

Now I have it next to a window.

Below are pictures:

*This is when I first got it (October 2011):

{{gwi:75311}}

**When it was going through a rough time (February 2012):

{{gwi:75312}}

**This is how it looks today (November 2012):

{{gwi:75315}}

I just wanted to know if anyone has suggestions as to what I can do to make it bloom again. I also wanted to know if anyone knows of any plant shops in NYC that have unique colored Anthuriums. Thanks.

11 years ago

Wow that's an amazing recovery! The Feb. pic looks like a plant that's almost surely dead. Which way does its' window face? If you can find what it needs to bloom again, folks may call you the Anthurium whisperer.

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@purpleinopp, thanks it sure is recovering! Lots of care and love! I believe it's in a south window. I'm really not sure though (never understood how to determine window direction). I would be so happy if it would bloom again...keeping hope alive!

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

it was likely treated with giberillic acid before sale, if so, it will probably not bloom again

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So if I were to get more anthuriums, once they stop blooming, they won't bloom again? Does that go for all plants that bloom?

11 years ago

I was hoping someone would say a bit more about this too. What I found trying to search for the answer just made me more confused.

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

I hesitated to ever answer this post in the first place becuase I am not the one to explain it all, atleast not correctly : D
    So, uniqueliydevine, its quite possible they may not bloom, you will never know if they have been treated presale, unless you can find a local greenhouse that actually grows their own, or another hobby grower.
    Im not aware of using this treatment on other plants, I could be wrong, i didnt even google it to see what I could find.
    The reality is that they do it to all plants it some sort if they can. they being most sellers, Im always amazed at the pumped up lookin plants I see in stores. Knowing full well thyey die when they get home cuz they are soft and pumped up from the "ideal" growing conditions.
    To answer I think you are askin purp, again, answer the best I can...
    It seems that when given a gibberillic acid treatment it basically forces or induces aroids to flower, not sure if it is all aroids, but commercial growers use this for several purposes, clearly it helps sales with more flowers, but if you need more plants to sell, reliably making your entire collection bloom at once is a great way to get plenty of seed stock, not to mention they hybridization!
    Gibberilic acid is naturally made by plants, its also called rooting hormone, readily available, but the specific recipes and formulations are usually guarded secrets, tho you can find plenty of technical info online about it.
    I know it sounds like I know what im talkin about there, but its my understanding from reading around online, I may be a bit off base.

11 years ago

Well thanks for that part, I'm with ya. But I don't see how something put on a plant can do that. The plant keeps growing but can never flower again? Once enough people find out, I think that would be bad for business. Like, you can force a bulb to bloom, but it doesn't ruin the bulb. They would sell far fewer if that were the case.

Would it make a difference if the plant was from the regular house plant section compared to a display of seasonal/decorative plants all a'bloom? I would hope so. The little $3 plant I bought this spring had no buds on it, I didn't even know what it was, but has made numerous flowers over the summer. The flower before the newest one was confused, or possibly sunburned.

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just hope that's not the case! I love anthuriums and would like to get more but let's face it, I wanna enjoy the flowers! I wish people that have had them for awhile would comment on this post. I'm sure they are garden web users who have been enjoying these plants for a long time. Maybe you all have some insight on this question.

It's unfortunate that gardeners/florists treat plants with additives to make them attractive for sale but once they leave the store...it's another story...,

• Mario1985
    11 years ago

Hello!
    It seems that your potted anthurium have a poor drainage (February 2012) . What is the medium that you use?

And "YES" it can bloom again as long as you follow the light, humidity, temperature requirements of your Anthurium plants.
    Do you live in a apartment in NYC? I think you should put your Anthurium in a lots of filtered light area in window to be alble to flower again.
    And avoid direct sunlight so that it dont get sunburn.

And you can also visit my post in this AROID Forum:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/aroid/msg1001421630834.html?16
    Thanks

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

It is certainly possible that mario is correct and your plant could use different care.

He does have some nice plants, but the fact remains that SOME types of anthuriums will never be able to muster a bloom without help from chem.

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

could be several things, most likely you have let it dry out a bit too much between waterings, or salt build up in the soil. Im sure there are seveal other things that cause them to tip burn...

gl

• uniquelydivine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What causes salt build up and what can I do to get rid of it?

• plantmahima
    8 years ago

mahima plant nursery anthurium in sri lanka mahima anthurium

• plantmahima
    8 years ago

mahima anthuirum , if you want know about anthurium got mahima anthurium website

• greenthumbs2
    8 years ago

Salt buildup is caused by the fertilizers we use. Leach the pots every 6 weeks or so. NYC water is full of chlorine which can damage plants. When I lived there I would let the water sit for 24 hrs before use. Anthuriums never thrived for me, even in the greenhouse. I no longer buy them.

• Carole Kadrie
    6 years ago

I just found out that my anthurium needs to be in a window facing south. I'm in an apartment and don't have a south facing window, only north. Is there any hope for blooms again?

• petrushka (7b)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

i don't think so. i have an anthurium in the corner of 2 windows : NW-NE.

when it gets sev hours of sun in the morning from ne - very early sun 8-10am from spring equinox to fall equinox + late sun from the west sev hours about the same time of year that's when it blooms. So direct but not hot sun about 5-6 hours daily. for other 6 months with hardly any sun in winter from the west (2-3 hours) it just grows leaves.

that's about the minimum it needs to bloom.

you might consider growing lights - it does not have to be a big fluorescent fixture, just a floor lamp with day-light bulbs in it that you can position fairly close to the plant - about 12-18 inches.

it also needs a fertilizer formulated with higher P and about equal amts of N and K.

something like african violet fertilizer 8-14-9 will work.

normally it can bloom continuosly for sev years if given good conditions and feed. then it grows very long stem and develops off-shoots that start blooming. at which point the main stem declines.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms