Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenjulia

New to Aroids - Need Care Advice

greenjulia
15 years ago

I have always had foliage houseplants, but have recently grown to really love aroids. I now have the following aroids:

alocasia polly

philodendron selloum

philodendron xanadu

monstera deliciosa

All plants seem to be doing well, but I have read conflicting care instructions online. So, any care instructions from the aroid experts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Comments (2)

• bihai
    15 years ago

I am not an expert, but, I can tell you that the selloum and the monstera will eventually be too large to keep indoors unless you have a big space.

Alocasia Polly is a nice plant and it can take a lot of light. It can take almost full sun if acclimated to it. The only real danger of losing Polly as a houseplant is from overwatering or spider mites.

Philo selloum is a huge growing trunking philo that produces massive aeriel roots to anchor itself upright in the ground. It is not particularly slow growing either. It needs full sun and can get as tall as 9-10 feet. I had 2 that were in gallon pots about a foot tall and in 2 years they were over 4 feet tall. These are hardy here so we don;t use them as houseplants

Monstera D is also pretty quick growing and also produces massive aeriel roots. It likes a lot of bright light and can climb all over the place when it gets bigger. These are used here as die back perennials, but some folks do keep them inside until they get too large to manage. You cal always cut them back too.

Philo Xanadu will grow larger over time. Its not really a true dwarf. It just has to get going. It is trunk forming and likes bright light, some direct sun. It could probably be kept inside for a few years.

• honymand
    15 years ago

Hi,

Aroids is a really large group, for for those which are generally available from standard houseplant outlets, the following usually apply.
    * They are easy and grow fast - flowering can be a little more difficult, but usually not...
    * They like water. Almost can't take too much; on the other hand many aroids can survive quite some time without water. The above-soil parts may die, but new growth will appear when you supply water again (but don't overwater after severe drying out)
    * They like heat, especially if air is moist. The warmer the air, the more moist it should be. If you give a lot of heat, apply lots of water
    * They don't require to much sun, but they take it well. However, with lots of sun you must apply lots of water.
    * They don't require to much fertilizer - but if you give them lots of water with lots of heat and/or sun, then you will need it enetually (nothing comes from nothing...)

These are just very general hints.

Just start with watering. If the leaves get wrinkled, not fresh and juicy then water more frequently.

If leaves start turning yellow it's more complicated. Could be to much water or need of fertilizer - remember to much water often can be fixed in two ways (1) less water => less growth, but still healthy plant (2) more light and/or fertilizer and/or heat => healthy plant and more (possibly massive) growth.

Still there are many ways to kill even the hardiest Aroid
    * Misuse or overuse of fertilizer - no plants can take that (altough aroids take it better than most plants)
    * Too much water, dark and low temperature - it will end up rotten. It is not a fern or fungi...
    * Too little water with lots of sun and hot, dry air. It will dry out. It is not a succulent (altough some Aroids appear so...)

But they are surprisingly hardy and easy. Take a Monstera and give all it can take of water, fetilizer, nice soil and some light and you will have a monster plant in no time.

/Hans Olav

Sponsored