Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colocasia heterochroma

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 16:07

Has anybody else tried this cute little species? It's a dwarf elephant ear with dark purple blotches on its leaves. In particular, has anybody tested its hardiness? I picked one up at Plant Delights last year during the SPS meeting; the PDN catalog claims hardiness to zone 7b "at least". I've only grown it in pots so far and overwintered it indoors last year; it produced numerous small tubers that had a very long dormant period. It did well for me in pots again this year and multiplied nicely, and now that I've brought the pots in for the winter I'm hoping it has gone dormant (rather than died!) and will give me as many tubers again this year. I hope to try it in the ground next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colocasia heterochroma (in PDN catalog)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colocasia heterochroma

• Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 15:27

I have it. I have had it in the ground for years. It goes dormant every fall no matter what you do, no matter what the temps, warm still or not, and comes back in late Spring/early summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here