Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anthurium Questions?

Posted by blazer_007 z8 WA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 05 at 17:24

I just picked up an anthurium hookeri and really dont know anything about them. How much light, water, heat, etc? Or what do I NOT do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! -Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anthurium Questions?

here ya go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid care

o
RE: Anthurium Questions?

Anthuriums like hookeri are really epiphytic in nature. They grow in the rainforest up in the canopy in trees, attached to the trees like bromeliads and orchids and in spaces where organic matter has accumulated. So, they get water that drenches them then runs off, and they get dappled and broken light, humidity and good air movement. To grow them as houseplants, you need to provide the same. I pot mine in a loose well draining mix of peat, perlite, orchid bark and potting soil. Sometimes I put them into wood slat baskets with a mix heavy on lava rock, or in wire baskets. You can also grow them in carved out treefern pots. They will take a lot more light than you think but if they have been growing in shade you have to acclimate them slowly to keep from burning the leaves. But I have many hanging in the upper reaches of the greenhouse and siting under full sun skylights in the house that do extremely well. They like to be kept moist but not water logged. Fertilize regularly as long as the plant is getting good light. Keep warm. Yes, they will survive in the 40's and they will sometimes survive a mild frost, but to really grow them to their best advantage, provide year round temps above 50-55 degrees. They like HEAT and grow like mad here in spring, summer and fall when we get have 80's and 90's. I have an old pendulafolia with leaves about 4 1/2 ft long that stalls in winter but grows like a mother in the heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here