Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
need2seegreen

Alocasia Frydek and dormancy/dividing

Hello:

I have always been fond of this houseplant but didn't even know what it was until recently. It has always gone dormant in winter and that's fine with me.

However, when it's warm, it grows from at least 4 different places in the pot, and it occurs to me that perhaps I ought to divide it.

Does anyone know how to do that? I searched here and saw pictures of "bulbils," but at least above ground, mine doesn't look like that. It has what look like tubers (2 or 3 of them) lying on top of the surface, and there are growing tips on the ends.

How do I know where to cut them apart?

When is the best time to do it?

Plus, these tuber things are sometimes barely connected to any roots, and in fact a huge one broke off a while back (I stuck it in a pot outside ... no news yet). Is that normal? Or was I supposed to bury these tuber-ish things?

Thanks!!!

Comments (6)

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Helps comin!
    I'll get back to you real soon!

You don't really want to do anything for a few months so your in ok shape, just keep taking care of them as normal til then.

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent, thanks! Whenever you can get to it.

Come to think of it, I can't even remember what I do in the winter when it's not growing. Guess I'll keep watering, but maybe less often. Hmm. Wow, can't believe I forgot what to do so completely.

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Ok...
    So...
    The big tubers, are tubers! They prefer to be mostly buried in rich fast draining soil. You should maybe save the one that popped off already, if it still exists.
    In you unending season, anytime is fine to repot, best done when the plants semi dormant or dormant!
    You won't need to cut anything at all, I use the hose to blast the soil free!
    It's more gentle than ripping them apart...
    What you will find will mostly be long succulent ropey white roots, with a few fine feeder roots, dark roots can be removed or left intact, dead roots should be removed...
    You'll also find offset tubers in there too, if you saw my pic of them, you know what to look for, they will look like little nuts in the soil...
    Split them off, just a touch will snap them, dirt thru the old soil, it may be FULL of them!
    I'd plant them with the large tubers, it'll fill the pot quicker.
    DONOT let the small offsets dry out!
    The bug tubers can take a beating but the pups can't!
    Easy on the water until the plant starts growin again...

Hope you see this, and it helps!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice!!!

I have a big backlog of stuff that I should have already gotten done -- Happy New Year to me! - but that's okay, I will get to this and I will let you know how it goes.

At a minimum, the poor thing deserves new dirt, and it would great if I could make some more plants to share too!

Thanks again! I will let you know how it goes.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for your help!

I had to come here and blab -- this year, it looked like it wasn't coming back!!! Just a week or so ago, I rooted with my fingers all through the pot and didn't find anything that looked promising. I was kind of bummed. Finally I had started to pay it some attention, and I had apparently killed it.

I guess the tuber that broke off last fall was the only one. I put it outside in a pot and it seems to have given up.

Last weekend though, I checked the inside, original pot again and 2 little pups are sprouting!!! Thank goodness. (I've been watering it every week or so through the winter/spring.)

So, I guess they won't be big enough for me to worry about dividing them this year. But, at least they didn't all die. What a happy surprise.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

hi
    found your post interesting because in the many years i've grown this plant it never went dormant until this year.
    Went dormant in late dec Thought it had died but since I'm a lazy gardener and didn't need the pot i left it alone and it resprouted in May and is already bigger than it ever has been. if it's "normal" why hasn't it happened over the last 10 years lol good luck with yours one of my favorite aroids because they DON'T go dormant lol gary

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio