Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Pothos, the real one

tropicbreezent
9 years ago

I'm still away from home and have been doing quite a bit of wandering around. Staying with friends who have a place in the Daintree rainforest. They have a lot of Pothos growing growing there. Thought I'd share some photos - Pothos longipes.

They grow up the trunks of trees and at different points put out aerial stems. This makes them look more like ferns rather than aroids. Looked around for flowers or seeds but never saw any. They are a very common plant though.

{{gwi:395353}}

{{gwi:395355}}

{{gwi:395357}}
{{gwi:395360}}

{{gwi:395362}}

{{gwi:395367}}

Comments (6)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

That is cool! At first it looked like the juvenile form was shingling but it doesn't seem to be once you take a good look at it.

The leaf type is pretty interesting. I wonder what you would call it, "bisected"? How large are the leaves. If you see one again would it be possible to take closer photos of the leaves and maybe one of the underside of a leaf, it would be interesting to see the veining in a leaf shaped like that.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's something like 50 species of Pothos, this is the only one I've found. Another local species, P. brassii, should be here but I haven't recognised it anywhere. At the moment I'm staying with friends who have a place in the Daintree rainforest. Their place is full of this one. So of course some will be migrating towards my place later this week. (It's wonderful how nature's taken up with modern technology for plant dispersal, LOL.)

The ruler shows the size of the leaves. This is a mature plant, haven't seen leaves larger than these.
    {{gwi:395368}}

The adaxial surface of a couple of leaves.
    {{gwi:395369}}

Abaxial surface of leaf, near distal end
    {{gwi:395370}}

Abaxial surface of leaf near proximal end
    {{gwi:395371}}

The thicker vine on the tree trunk isn't Pothos (think it's Raphidophora australasica). The Pothos stems are finer. In time the leaves fall off the lower stems. Although the main stem continues up the tree trunk, occasional aerial stems grow and hang down giving the appearance of fern fronds. But they are just stems with leaves, not leaflets. When a stem grows up a short length of wood, at the top it produces a lot of aerial stems making it look like a clump of epiphytic fern.
    {{gwi:395372}}

Some more infornation on it: http://keys.trin.org.au:8080/key-server/data/0e0f0504-0103-430d-8004-060d07080d04/media/Html/taxon/Pothos_longipes.htm

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

15 cm, thought they may be longer, about 10 ml wide. Thanks for posting more pictures!

I'm intrigued by the pattern of the veins at that choke point.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit for some stray pieces to find their way home with you. I remember being in Costa Rica and everywhere I looked there were little bits and pieces of orchids, bromeliads, moss, aroids and other who know what kind of plants all over the ground knocked off the trees by monkeys, birds and other animals. I was going nuts not being able to pick up everything I could to take home with me.

If you could export these plants you're always posting photos of you make some serious spare change.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know the feeling. I was in Papua New Guinea a few years back doing some trekking. The amount of orchids and other plants just laying on the ground was amazing. But with quarantine regulations the way they are you could only dream. At least here there's no international borders, only luggage limits.

The Pothos isn't a large plant although they go high up in trees and festoon the trunks with lacy "fern fronds". Looks really great. Today I found a couple of tightly wrapped inflorescences, they might be just starting their flowering cycle, start of the wet season.

Tomorrow I drive back to Cairns and then fly back home the next morning. Hopefully our rains will be setting in now and help my new plants make their adjustment.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

it's a fantastic fern-like, palm-like look! i wonder why they don't cultivate some for sale. are they too invasive for the yard?

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I've always liked them but have never seen them for sale or being grown by anyone. Can't imagine them becoming invasive, unless you live in a rain/cloudforest. Of the 2 I brought home one died. Although we were getting some storms and rain the days were still pretty hot. For nearly a week now we've had the monsoon sitting over us and the surviving Pothos seems to be doing well. The big test will be getting through the next dry season and then the build-up.

Sponsored