Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
libbyliz_gw

Alocasia Amazonica

LibbyLiz
18 years ago

Can this be a houseplant, as in it retains leaves year-round in a heated winter, cooled summer environment?

How much humidity does it need? -- I'm thinking not much because they're in a local grocery store near the produce out in the open.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• orchidpat

I just let mine go dormant every year as the temps go down to the 40's it loses it's leaves and then i set it in a cool corner of the greenhouse (it's barley kept above 50 degrees for the winter)and don't water it till the night temps outside go back into the 60's. It sprouts right back up and makes a impressive plant all summer. The bulbs hate to be kept wet when they are dormant, they will rot quickly if u do.

• orchidpat

I just let mine go dormant every year as the temps go down to the 40's it loses it's leaves and then i set it in a cool corner of the greenhouse (it's barley kept above 50 degrees for the winter)and don't water it till the night temps outside go back into the 60's. It sprouts right back up and makes a impressive plant all summer. The bulbs hate to be kept wet when they are dormant, they will rot quickly if u do.

• orchidpat

• orchidpat

• bihai
    18 years ago

Yes they can be houseplants, and very long term ones if taken care of.
    I have 3 specimens of different alocasia "amazonica" types... Loweii Grandis, Purple Prince, and Polly, that I have kept as houseplants for 11 years, 6 years and 5 years respectively. They grow in full sun in large (20 gallon) pots under a 16 ft bank of skylights, get watered once a week, and all are VERY large and multi-trunked.

The major problems with them are spider mites and mealy bugs

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Do they not need supplemental humidity, Bihai? I used to run a cool mist humidifier for my indoor plants that liked a humid environment. Is this not recommended for the Amazonicas?

Susan

• bihai
    18 years ago

I don't bother and they don't seem to care. I will try to get a photo.

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! I bought it, the last one, yesterday!

• grrrnthumb
    18 years ago

Ya know a winter inside a Utah house is sure a lot dryer than in a Florida house. The extra heating makes a huge difference. I would say Amazonica will not survive long term as a houseplant in the *average* zone 5 house, they're very dry. Not that it can't be done, but I definately think you need to take some extra precuations to raise humidity, especailly if you have typical forced air heating.
    Misting & washing the leaves frequently also really helps with these, not for humidity, but becuase they make for a very inshospitable environment for spider mites & mealy bugs. :)

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's true. Hopefully putting it on the stairs where there are no heat vents will help. That's where some other plants are that are doing well.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

If you have a cool mist humidifier that will help also. Or, you can set in in a large plant in a tray filled with some small rocks, add water, but not enough that the plant is sitting in water, and that will add some humidity to the air.

Susan

• james_ny
    18 years ago

The type of heating may make a difference. I know an oil/hot air system is much dryer than oil/hot water.

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Um, it's a gas furnace. I don't understand about the oil/hot air or oil/hot water. Are you meaning radiators for the last one?

• grrrnthumb
    18 years ago

I think yes, he's just saying that the same oil furnace can be vastly different in it's effects on humidity depending on whether it uses forced air or hot water to radiate the heat.
    With a standard gas furnuce, in your locale, I think you'll want to mist those leaves as often as possible. Amazonica will be quite a challenge for you in those conditions. :)

• eamccann
    17 years ago

I have a Alocasia Amazonica that suddenly started to show wilting in the leaves. I haven't changed the watering schedule nor changed soil conditions. Is there a reason for this sudden change.

• philh
    17 years ago

I've got an Alocasia x amazonica of some description, when it's about to produce new growth the older leaves tend to wilt and die.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    Almost all alocasias can be grown as water plants. Amazonica will do well in 2 inches of water with a rich substrate. For the house you can stannd the pot in a tray of water. The trick with all alocasias is humidity. They will not tolerate below 50 percent.
    gary

• gemingirl
    16 years ago

I have a beautiful plant with 1 foot leaves after having it 4 months now. hopefully that is a good sign.
    some of the leaves are dying now, and to trim them do I:

trim the leaf off the top of the stem leaving the stem bare & sticking out, or
    do I cut the stem right off near the soil?

i dont want to do it wrong, hope to hear.

• crjs
    16 years ago

I have a fairly new Amazonica, doing well. However, it just flowered (looks like a jack-in-the-pulpit).
    My question is this - Since I want to encourage More leaf growth should I snip the flower now so that it will put more energy into leafing and not sex - I mean flowering. :)
    Chet

• shirleydehmer_nctv_com
    12 years ago

I just bought my Amazonica from Home Depot about a week and a half ago. It did not have a tag in it so had no idea what it was. I paid $9 for the plant in a three inch pot. It stands about one foot tall including the pot. I left it beside my kitchen sink this whole past week and a half. Fortuitous don't you think? It seems to be doing well. I don't know if I should leave it in the house or take it outside. I live in zone 8a in the Texas Hill Country. With global weather warming our temps have gone as high as 109 degrees, though usually around 98-103 degrees. The wind will last three or four days at 5-15 mph with 20 mph gusts. Between the wind and the heat some plants just melt. However, I have two types of elephant ear outside. One is regular macrorrhiza alocasia and the other is the so called "black" ones that are a dark greenish burgundy (invasive). Both do well here. Should I try this little plant outside? It would get about three or four hours of direct Sunlight per day and it would get plenty of moisture. If I keep it in the house, in what size pot should I transplant it? I would have to put it in my southeast facing window where it would get morning sun. Plants in that window dry out much too quickly. I could put it on my porch where it would be in bright indirect light. I could put the water crystals in the soil in which I transplant it to keep it from drying out so quickly. I don't want to kill it. It is a lovely little thing. How big will it eventually get? How much sun does it normally need? To me it looks like a shade plant. What are its original growing conditions. I guess from its name it must be from South America around the Amazon River? Thank you for your response.

Here is a link that might be useful: forums/load/aroid/msg1119514328323html?1

Sponsored