Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Haemanthus humilis humilis 'Giant' importing

bluebonsai101
18 years ago

Hi all,

I know this is not an aroid so forgive me, but I imagine their are others that like things other than aroids on this forum as much as I do!! I am planning on importing a couple of the above from Cameron McMaster out of South Africa. You can see pics of this on the web....the leaf gets as big as a seat cushion and it only produces 2 of these monster leaves. I'll quote from Cameron as I've been e-mailing him about these and I asked how tough they are to grow:

"Our Giant Haemanthus humilis will be ready to ship in December early or early January It would be better in December as it starts growing in January, as do the other summer rainfall Haemanthus. These all come from a fairly moist climate so they will grow for you - the Giant likes to be in the shade most of the day - it comes from a cool south facing cliff where it gets very little sun. You should have no trouble in getting it to grow - it is the easiest one for us."

I've imported from Cameron before and his bulbs are excellent!!! If anyone would like to do this let me know in the next day otherwise I'll just go it alone. We would need to split the cost of the phyto and shipping which is of course why I'm asking if anyone would be interested!! I'm going to get Crinum from him next spring, but for that I'll be ordering enough on my own.

These will ship in early Dec. as indicated above.

Let me know :o) Dan

Comments (6)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Dan, how much is the cost of importing, or would you rather I PM you?

I looked it up and can get 6 seeds for $5.00 from Shields in Indiana. Also, apparently Jim Shields is quite an expert on these members of the amarylis family. It is said to be hardy to zone 7, but may not flower if outside in the ground, which is the actually the main purpose of this plant - you wouldn't want to grow it for the foliage alone I'm guessing.

Susan

• Nigella
    18 years ago

Dan, please email me specifics at

nigella at comcast dot net

Sorry for spelling it out, don't want a lot of spam from spiders harvesting it. Thanks!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Susan,

Yep, the foliage is what I want it for....if you see a pic of it you will know what I mean....please do not confuse the standard Haemanthus humilis with the giant form originally found by Cameron. The giant form has a single leaf that is huge and with one on each side of the bulb lying prostrate on the surface I think it would be awesome!! I have no patience for seeds......just no chance I'll go that route!!! You can see a pic of this guy at the following site: http://www.shieldsgardens.com/amaryllids/Cameron_McMaster_on_Haemanthus.html which is part of Shields Garden web site although you can see all of the info is primarily from Cameron.

Susan, e-mail me if you want to know prices etc.

Nigella, I will e-mail you in a bit.

If only one extra person wants to do this I will just get them myself and risk the shipping sans phyto since this is the pricely part :o) Dan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I think I will pass on this one, Dan, but it was very nice of you to offer on the forum. It is terribly exotic and I'd love to try it, but I don't feel I have the experience yet, so am passing the baton to Nigella.

Susan

• pontus
    14 years ago

Hi Dan,

just saw this post now.

did you ever get your giant leaf humilis humilis in the end?

did it grow well?

could you give me your e mail adress please? it would be easier then i think to chat about bulbs, as i'm quite bad with this forum thing, finding old posts and answers...etc
    my e mail is pontus.wallsten@bluewin.ch

by the way...i'm going on one of Cameron's bulb tours in 2011, should be well exciting to see all these beauties in the wild with such an expert as Cameron.
    Pontus

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pontus,

Yes, I imported several things from Cameron, including the 'Giant' Haemanthus humilis. They have done fine for me, although they have never flowered likely my conditions!! Going on one of his trips would be simply fantastic and I am very jealous!! My e-mail addy is: plantguy at zoominternet.net :o) Dan

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations