Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growhappy

NOID Alocasia

GrowHappy
18 years ago

Hi,

I'm hoping someone out there will be able to ID this for me!

GH

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:395553}}

Comments (12)

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Happy,
    Sorry, but it looks like macro "New Guinea Gold" from tissue culture which doesn't work very well on this kind of chimera.

Keiko

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Keiko,

Do you say that to mean it will revert back to all green? When I bought it, it was all green. As it grew during the summer, it took on the yellow variegation and all new growth from the main stalk has been variegated. However, the two pups are all green.

What do you mean by "macro"?

Thanks for your insight,

GH

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

duh! Macro as in machorriza(sp?). But you can feel free to tell me more about tissue culture and it's habits.

Thanks,
    GH

• bihai
    18 years ago

NGG starts out green and develops the splotches "later". Like Colocasia Nancy's Revenge starts out green and develops the white stripe "later"

• night_breed
    18 years ago

New Guinea Gold, like a lot of other variegated plants, seems to "come and go", the amount of variegation varies throughout the year.
    I had a beautiful New Guinea Gold that at times was predominantly deep gold/ yellow yet at other times you could almost have mistaken in for a very deep green regular Alo macro.
    I have several macro with green and white variegation and the same occurs. The amount of light doesn't appear to be the reason and I am in the tropics where we don't have any real seasons so I don't know why this is????

Cheers, Troy.

• keiko2
    18 years ago

GH, NGG is the kind of variegated plant that has genetically different tissue growing within the same plant.
    With tissue culture they have to get some of both types in the same cutting to make them come out. Most come out like yours, but a lot of them come out differently for better or worse. Some have a nice marble effect, some just a few gold spots at their best, etc.

The first ones I saw of these were long before they started mass producing them from tc and they kept their variegation year round. A few years ago I spotted three small tc plants among that had good variegation in a greenhouse during the winter among many others that did not. I bought them to see what would happen and they kept their variegation year round like the old clone.

This is a different thing from the kind of variegation in C. Nancy's Revenge which comes uniformally true from tc and just needs to reach a certain size for Nancy to get her revenge.

I guess they need two different names for the NGGs that stay variegated year round and the ones that come & go as Troy describes.

I don't know why this is either, Troy, but the ones like yours and GHs only put out variegated leaves here July - Sept., the hotest part of the summer when they are growing fastest.

Keiko

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Okay, I just have to say this, the devil made made me say it. Will it revert to Lime Zinger?

Susan

• keiko2
    18 years ago

:-)Well, Susan, NGG is really variable, but as far as I know it has never had the ability to skip from Genus to Genus.

If Gertrude Stein were alive and well,living in Dallas today, she would probably tire of buying chemicals to grow roses and say "An Alocasia is an Alocasia is an Alocasia"

Keiko

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Keiko for the ID and thanks to all for the lessons!

Planty- nice Sunday morning read. Nothing like reading a debate over a cup of coffee.;)

GH

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Thanks Planty,
    That's what Susan and I were kidding about in case some find those comments rather strange :)
    Keiko

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Sorry....I shouldn't have thrown everyone off. But, glad you explained it Planty and Keiko.

GH - to put it in the words of a great man from Oklahoma, I have yet to meet an aroid I didn't like.

Susan

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms