Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Cardiocrinum giganteum seed anyone

bluebonsai101
18 years ago

Hi All,

Again, I know this has nothing to do with aroids, but my Cardiocrinum giganteum bloomed this year and they produce incredible numbers of seed in a single pod. Can anyone tell me what a mature seed looks like?? The pod split open so I assume they are ready to go.

I have no interest in growing these from seed at all. Thus, if anyone wants some seed they are more than welcome to them if they send me a self-addressed stamped envelope. As I said, I'm guessing they are mature, but I make no guarantees since I've never bothered with seed before!! Based on the number of seed in a single pod I'm sure I can give everyone 50 or so and they can have fun with them!! They take maybe 9 years to flower from seed and are not easy when they are small so I am more than willing to give them away. Once they are mature they are pretty easy as long as you live south of zone 6 and can supply deep shade, excellent drainage and keep the slugs away!!

Please e-mail me and I can give you my address :o) Dan

Comments (6)

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Dan,
    I have to remember this from childhood, but I'm pretty sure the pods are filled with hundreds of seeds that look a lot like fish scales made of tan tissue paper, the germ just being a dot and bump in the center of each one.

You will probably need to bag the pods to save them as they are the kind designed to be carried away by the wind as the pods open.

Keiko

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

OH, please, oh, please, oh, please. Thanks, Dan.

Mine has still not flowered and has been in the ground for 5 years now. It sends up foliage every year, but the tallest the foliage has been is about 8", and the biggest leaf has been about 6". Should I dig it up and replant in more friable soil?

I planted this quickly one year, and probably did not do as much amending as I should have.

Susan

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Keiko,

Yep, your memory is superb...fish scales they are!!!

Susan, please e-mail me directly and I'll send you my address for a SASE. I've got a philosophy that goes something like this....if you have had this guy for 5 years and it is coming back bigger every year do not mess with it.....they are not the easiest plant in the world to grow and if you've got the perfect spot then don't change a thing :o) Dan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Oh, 'k - I'll leave it be. Should I fertilize or throw some compost on it in the spring?

Susan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Yoo-hoo.....Dan, are you out there, well I mean, are you there? I know you're "out there".....LOL!

Susan

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Susan, I was celebrating my birth some 44 years ago today :o) As you know from my other posts I'm a fan of fertilizer.....I fertilize mine several times a summer with standard bulb fertilizer. It takes 7-9 years to reach flowering size, so if yours was a small bulb when you received it then it might still be a few years from flowering, but it sounds like yours is doing well if you have had it for 5 years!! I'm not sure if I have sent you my address for seed, but if you have not e-mailed me directly then I can not respond to you via GW since your e-mail addy is blocked when you post here. I'm pleased to say that you are not the first person to suggest I'm "out there" :o) Dan

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County