Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Arisaema from Shikoku in Japan

bluebonsai101
18 years ago

Hello again from Dan's world of importing and seeing if anyone wants to go in on any tubers!! I'm thinking about getting some Arisaema from Shikoku Gardens in Japan. I've already gone in for a couple of species with someone else, but was wondering if there was any interest from GW members for additional species. You can view the gory details at: http://www.shikoku-garden.com/English/indexenglish.htm

You should look particularly at the cost of the shipping and phyto so that you can get a better idea of what these cost as this is not a cheap venture!!

I've heard they ship wonderful tubers, but I have no personal experience. This is where Asiatica apparently imports from as I originally found this site via their web site a few years ago. If there are enough people that want the same few species so that we can account for the minimum of 25 tubers per species required then perhaps we can have a go at this. If there is any interest please e-mail me and we can see whether we have a quorum. I personally am interested in the ehimense, iyoanum, sazensoo and perhaps tashiroi. Let me know :o) Dan

Comments (11)

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, another failed attempt to get an import going. I'm just sending this message down. Dan

• kwoods
    18 years ago

Well... don't think I didn't consider it, drooling all the while;o)

I made a list of all the species they carry and am actively searching for a retail supplier (Asiatica has some but not all of them).

Kept trying to find a reason that justified ordering 25 yamatense or tashiroi. Might be able to do 5 of a species if you can find more takers.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi KWoods, Well, that was the idea...I have no desire to get 25 for myself and then have to try and move the ones I do not want.....If we had 5 people with 5 tubers each then that could work.....I know one other guy.....maybe I should just go to aroid-l....like I said, I'm already getting 4 of the species via another contact. Asiatica is just too high and their shipping fees are silly IMO :o) Dan

• kellyschofield
    18 years ago

I'd go in with you too Dan if you get enough people. I'm always interested in more tuberous aroids to kill, er I mean grow. I've certainly killed my share of Arisaema I've gotten from you, but that doesn't mean I won't keep trying.

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Dan,
    Interested in those 4 you listed and would take 5 of each, but, just checked their site and 2 aren't listed and the other 2 are sold out for this year. There are only two species listed, as available, that I don't have and they aren't that attractive to me. I also collect Asarum and Tricyrtis and have to replace many of the Japanese Asarun species that I lost to a pervasive fungal infection a few years ago. If you would consider adding some of those to the order and know of someone that would be interested in a few species, let me know.
    Tnx
    Rb

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi RB,

You are not looking at their new site.

If anyone is SERIOUSLY interested in the species above or others drop me a private e-mail. If you know others that are interested have them drop you an e-mail and then you drop me one. As any of you that have done this can attest to it is a lot of work and I am going through with the Haemanthus from South Africa so I'm already dealing with dozens and dozens of e-mails. If we can get an order together great....if not, oh well :o) Dan

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Dan,
    Sorry! I cut and pasted the URL you listed and I obviously loaded an old site, probably from a history cache at my domain provider. They are notorious for that.
    Will look over the new site and e-mail you.
    Rb

• lauraann
    18 years ago

Dan and RB, I'm interested.
    I've been browsing their lists for years and would like to give them a try.
    RB, I'd be interested in Asarum and Tricyrtis as well.

LauraAnn

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LauraAnn, PLease e-mail me diractly after looking over the list and let me know exactly what species of Arisaema you would like and how many of each species (please try for multiples of 5). I'm personally not all that interested in the Asarum or toad lilies (although I have several and they are nice)...I'll check them out myself.....25 will be tough though :o) Dan

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello all, One last message on this. If anyone is truly interested in getting these Arisaema then e-mail me today or I will assume you have decided against it. I think we are a go on 3 species so far, but lets see if anything else materializes.

RB, let me know which Toad lilies you are interested in and maybe just the 2 of us can make a purchase of 25....although that is about 7 more than I want :o) Dan

• lauraann
    18 years ago

OK, I can do 2 multiples of five of any two Arisaemas from your list. Basically 10 Arisaema, any combo or just one variety.
    ehimense, iyoanum, sazensoo and perhaps tashiroi

I'd also do any of the below, splitting would be great but there are a couple I'd take the majority of if anyone just wanted a few.
    Tricyrtis nana "Karasuba"
    Tricyrtis perfoliata*
    possibly flava
    Asarum asperum
    Asarum minamitanianum
    Asarum sakawanum*
    LauraAnn

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living