Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mentha_gw

Giant 'Hawaiian' Pothos?

Mentha
18 years ago

I just bought a 'Hawaiian' pothos, it is bigger than my regular golden with a different variegation pattern. I'm wondering if the 'giant' label is because my plant was a mature plant or do they truely grow larger than normal pothos. I asked this on the houseplant forum, and most were of the mind that it was a scam, and I bought a large golden pothos. It's leaves are much larger than my 'congo' philo and about the size of my selloum philo.

I did some research and just found out there was a 'Hawaiian' variety and it was a patented plant, so I'm assuming it's a newer hybrid. My question is will it revert back to a normal size with time or stay a larger cousin to my golden?

Comments (14)

• bihai
    18 years ago

Hmmm...even the regular Golden Pothos reaches gargantuan sizes in Miami. If it has a different variegation pattern, and there is a patented Hawaiian pothos, hopefully that is what you have.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I don't have a clue, but I do know that I have purchased pothos in the past with very large leaves, and growing in a home environment, the leaves got much smaller and smaller and eventually they disappeared (not really, just joking), but they did grow much smaller in my house than apparently they did in a greenhouse environment.

If you just bought it, I'd keep an eye on it for a while and see if the large foliage growth tapers off after a while.

Susan

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Epipremnum aureum "Hawaiin" is a true cultivated form of this plant. According to Aroideana Vol. 24, A Review of Epipremnum in Cultivation, Peter Boyce, it has leaves with dense but fragmented yellow variegation. However, I dont think it gets any bigger than standard E. aureaum, which I have seen with 6 foot leaves in the Tropics.
    Pothos is not the true name for this plant. Pothos is another climbing genus of Araceae from SE Asia and Australia but not common in cultivation.
    Michael M.

• Nigella
    18 years ago

Micheal, I don't suppose you have a picture of true Pothos, do you? I'm very curious, I didn't know there was such a genus!

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Nigella, I dont have any pics but I have Pothos scandens in my greenhouse so ill take a picture of it in the next day or so and post it here. It is a climber but very unlike most other Aroid climbers.

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Mike, let me save you the trouble.

Here is a link that might be useful: pothos scandens

• Mentha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok now my collector's blood has kicked in. My knowledge of aroids is limited to Philodendrons and pseudo-Pothos. Where would one find a Pothos scandens? Are they available to someone with limited knowledge of hard to find aroids? I knew there was a genus Pothos, and vaguelly think I remember hearing/reading that Epipremnum aureum at one time was a 'Pothos,' thus the name? Is this true? I may be wrong, I often am.
    If they require normal climbing aroid care, why aren't they in culture more readily? From the pictures, they look pleasant enough. That in itself has an appeal, and if they are easily cared for then that's another plus in my book.
    Thanks for the pictures.

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Im not sure if it has been Pothos but I am pretty sure it has been both Scindapsus and Rhaphidophora. Pothos is actually closer to Anthurium than it is to any of the Monsteroids (Monstera, Epipremnum, Rhaphidophora, Spathiphyllum etc etc.)
    Pothos scandens is easy to cultivate but is notorious for being hard to start from cuttings. Maybe that is why it is not so readily avialable.

• Nigella
    18 years ago

Slaps Planty's hand, don't do that, lol. Well, no, really I guess, thanks for the pics. I really did want to see Mike's plant/s though, lol!

Mike, would you mind elaborating on what makes a plant a Monsteroid? I know, I know, I could Google the info, but it's so much more fun to pick your brain, lol, I like your explanations!

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Mentha, consider this a christmas present:

Here is a link that might be useful: This person sells the plant you seek.....

• planty01976
    18 years ago

See, you really have to know where to look, and that only comes with experience/time.

Here is a link that might be useful: This person has it too.....happy holidays

• Mentha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm not sure I'm up to paying the worth of my house for an aroid, (yet) but if it we're an Epiphyllum species or a Rhipsalis, maybe. I'll just limit my aroid keeping to the vining types and my mini anthurium. Although I did spend quite a bit for the above imposter-pothos, way more than you did for the real thing.
    I just don't have a very good visual sensory, I can look at pictures all day of something, but unless I see it personally, it's not real somehow. I guess it's because most plant photographers don't get that National Geographic photographic quality.
    Thank you so much for the links, I'll be sure to check them out.

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Well I promise ill get some pics up here before too long. by the time i get home from work its already getting dark but I do promise it wont be long..;)
    Yes,,,planty I got mine from Dewey. I had been looking for it for a LONG time and Dewey has always said he had it but since it is hard to propagate he never had any for sale. Finally this summer he put it on his website and I was quick to snatch it up. You will find ANYTHING and EVERYTHING on ebay nowadays. just keep your eyes open.
    OK a Monsteroid is a member of the Araceae family that is in the subfamily Monsteroideae. Mostly climbers like Rhaphidophora, Scindapsus, Epipremnum, Rhodospatha,Amydrium, Monstera, and with non climbers like Spathiphyllum and Holochlamys, among others. Mostly when you here the word Monsteroid, you would think of the very large climbers in the Aroid family, apart from Philodendron.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz