Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia x portora- how big for you in zone 5?

Posted by cheerpeople 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 05 at 6:00

I have been assured that what I have is the real thing from two different sources. So I'm quite surprised that now a few years later it is still 1/4 the size of my odora.
My odora is also the same age.
I'm thinking they are both happy. odora bloomed and had 2 pups-and portora produced 6 pups. The pups were removed to encourage large growth and still 2 years later- it's 16 inches tall to 24" depending on the season. It's very slow growing compaired to my other alocasia and colocasia.

Does anyone in a cold zone have this (as a houseplant for winter) and outside for summer- and it so. how big is this for you?

Has anyone tried letting it go barebulb dormant for a long winter? Did it do ok?

I'm thinking it just hates living here...

thx:)
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia x portora- how big for you in zone 5?

Letting it go barebulb & dormant- I'm always reluctant to let any Alocasia that doesn't have at least a golfball size rhizome go dormant, but golfball sized or larger x portora can easily be stored dry for at least six months.
The main trick here is to keep it warm enough at night in early spring to root and break dormancy- a propagation or heat mat is very helpful to get them going.

Keiko

o

Thx again Keiko, You are so knowlegable.

I will toss this in the basement and try again next summer. I get disappointed every time I see it and it's recipe card sized leaves. The root is much larger than a golf ball this year. It should be fine down there until June when our last frost is past..
Karen

o

I'm assuming you mean Portodora. Well, it gets huge in Zone 7. I put it outside last April and left it in a pot. It was small in the autumn of 2004. By frost this year, the leaves were larger than macrorrhiza (over 36" long and 6 feet tall) and elegantly scalloped. As soon as I have enough plants, I'll plant some in the yard and retain some in a pot to test for hardiness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here