Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbunch_gw

Yellow Anthurium ?

pbunch
15 years ago

A month or two ago I bought a plant being sold as "yellow anthurium" from a street vendor here in Medellin. The guy sells orchids (hybrids) and Anthuriums (mostly hybrids) he grows in a town down the valley a bit. The plant does not look like one of the common hybrid types and has a "species" look to it.

The upper portion of the leaf is deeply heart-shaped or at least has a deep and wide sinus. The lower portion tapers gradually to a well defined drip-tip. They are relatively thin and the vain pattern is deeply impressed on the upper surface and raised on the lower surface. They are about 8 inches long. The new leaves are a fresh, light green and very shiny. They age to a dark green which still has a shine but is more muted. The upper leaf surface is smooth while the lower is rough (scabrid) on mature leaves. The stem is covered with course brown fibers in a reticulate or woven pattern.

It rooted and started growing quickly in our year around spring-like climate. It has produced three new leaves so I think it probably is from a similar elevation (around 6000 feet)or if a hybrid has parents from a similar zone.

Is anyone familiar with a yellow flowered Anthurium? I have yet to see an inflorescence so I don't know just what the guy means by yellow.

Thanks,

Phil

Medelllin, Colombia

Comments (4)