Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting aroid flower

Posted by tropicbreezent (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 9:35

I've been waiting for this aroid of mine to flower. It wasn't going to be a surprise as I'd already seen the flower elsewhere and I was determined that I had to have one (same old story, LOL).

It's Cyrtosperma johnstonii. The spathe is a beautiful and unusual black.

gw n 121227 01

The leaves, particularly younger ones, have red veins.

gw n 121227 03

And the stems look great as well.

gw n 121227 04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting aroid flower

fun stuff, i love the thorny petiole, very reptilian...I really wish this plant more available in the states, the best I can find for one is about 30 bucks for a start in a 3 inch pot, that with reports of being finicky...oi...

o

Grab, that one is cold sensitive. They're not all that common here and prices are a bit high for a plant that propagates readily. Some prices I've seen here were Au$20 for a 150mm pot, to Au$28 for a 200mm pot.

Discussions (internet) I had with people in the US were a bit negative, they said if you put an ice cube in your mouth and breathed on the plant it would die. We've just come through our coldest recorded winter, my plant stopped growing and leaves looked a bit ratty. Average temp for June 2012 (coldest month) was 20.9C, and July 2012 was 22.8C. That should be easily achieved in a heated house in a US winter.

o

our winter lows are more like -10c LOL I wish it stayed that warm but your right it would be possible in a greenhouse..I know someone who has that paticular plant and it is really nice, but there not comming off it any time soon and I don't have a place to keep it right now anyways.

o

Totally agree with the title of this discussion! Glad I looked.

o

Mike, I sometimes think I really have no more room, but then I still end up buying more plants and then spend a lot of time trying to work out where they'll fit. I bought 4 palms the other day but there were still about 12 from previous purchases waiting for placement. Then there's all the other types of plants that have yet to find their little space.

Thanks purple, they are a great plant.

o

What a fabulous plant!

o

TB..why do you do this to me..LOL another plant i gotta
try to grow.>>??? :)lol
those pics are great man..
i just sent you an email on other site..DG..
do crytospermas need similar soil as tropical amorphs?
i see some on ebay off and on..intrigued..you think someone
could grow this in the house in winter..then outside in
spring/summer/fall? in areas like where im at..??
much thanks.
btw??? how are your other amorphs doing???

o

Larry, it is a great plant. The first time I saw one flowering I made an immediate decision to get one, no matter what.

Dave, you're hopeless! You're nearly as bad as me, wanting just about every plant that's around. Check out Rachel on DG, she has one growing indoors in the US. She makes comments on my Lasia spinosa thread in the aroids forum (plus a lot of other threads). My amorphs are doing well, including the ones planted out in the ground. And the titanum went through a severe storm last weekend without any mishaps. There's a cyclone forming off the coast now but looks like going the other way. If we do get one later, that will be the real test for how well I've protected it.

o

Took more pics Monday of an amazing, huge Philo (to those of us not in the tropics) in bloom at a garden center nearby. First spotted it in January.

o
RE: Interesting aroid in bloom

Closer on the flower.

o

Purple, I can hear warning bells ringing. You keep going back to that plant! I think you're in danger of making a rash decision, LOL.

My C. johnstonii is flowering again, and producing a few pups.

o

Easily grown in a tropical aquarium over winter for those climatically challenged. Nice one Zig

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here