Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Arum species

Posted by geoforce z7a SE PA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 5, 06 at 11:51

I have both the spotted and veined forms of A. italicum and knew that they both put up leaves in late fall or early winter, but this year I also purchased and planted corms of A. maculatum, A. dioscoridis, and A concinnatum X cyrenaicum. Of these, all but the A. dioscoridis have also put out leaves already.

Do all of the arum species put up winter leaves? If so, then I think I'll add more. My winter garden needs a bit more variety.

George

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Arum species

George-
All of the species I have produce new foliage in the fall and early winter.
I grow the species you have, except the hybrid, but I have the parents, A. concinnatum & A. cyrenaicum, plus A. korolkowii and another one, purchased as: A. concinnatum, ssp. albispathum, which is not a valid species name and is probably, A. orientale. Has thick leaves, with prominent white veins. Has never produced a spathe in more than 5 years, so no ID.
korolkowii & cyrenaicum is somewhat tender for me. Temps below -5C will zap the foliage, but it regrows after a warmup.
Rb

o

Thanks Razorback I appreciate the response.

I assume your alias means you are from Arkansas. I grew up around Russellville (Pleasant View area)and Dardanelle (Centerville and Ola) till we moved to Oklahoma when I was 13.

George

o

Yep, born in the Ozarks (Mountain View), moved to the flatlands (Blytheville), near the Miss. River at age 9. Spent an idyllic youth fishing, hunting, horseback riding, swimming, partying, hanging out and generally raising H***. Uncle Sam must have heard about it, and as soon as I turned 18, He wrote me about his grand plan and that I WAS INCLUDED! He indicated that only my hunting skills were required, leave all that other baggage behind. The party was over!
Thomas Wolfe's novel "You Can't Go Home Again", certainly described my feelings after being away for 8 years. I haven't been back there in more than 25 years. I'm told that a Garage and Used Car lot occupies the land where our home was located. Progress, in the name of Progress!
Rb

o

George/Rb-
Are any of the arum you mentioned hardy to zone 6a?
I have the italicum but would be interested in others.
Do you know of a good source or do you have plants to trade (in the Spring)? I have many types of elephant ears.
ROX

o

According to the list on the Aroid.org site, many of the arums are hardy there. That's what I'm working from at least.

George

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardiness list

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here