I'm relatively new to amorphs and have the following plants:

Typhonium venosum

A. dunnii

A. bulbifer "dark stem"

A. titanium

A. hewittii

A. paeoniifolius

A. Konjac

So what would you recommend for me to get next? What is something that has either a great petiole, flower, or is just too inexpensive to pass up?

Also, is e-bay the best place to get more Amorphs without paying an arm an a leg? Unfortunately, I haven't found an aroid society in Southern CA.

Thanks,

Robert

Comments (7)

• planty01976
    18 years ago

Yes ebay is the best source to get aroids inexpensivly, IMHO.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay aroids

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

HI, Not sure what you mean since we all have different views of what is exciting. I would say that most everyone that sells on ebay also sells off ebay and usually for less if you simply ask them. I do not buy on ebay.....on the off chance that I see something I want on ebay then I just send them an e-mail and buy it off ebay...saves the seller some money, saves me some money. I think that this goes for many of us that post here to be honest. You should also get on the aroid-l....you can get posts from people like Alan Galloway when he is making his available....these are the more unusual ones!! If people can not beat their ebay prices off ebay then something is wrong since they have to pay a listing fee, a selling fee and a PayPal fee....ask around.....there are many people that import and sell....most of it never sees ebay if they are reasonable....that is my take anyway and I think I speak from experience at both ends of the check-out counter. Good luck tracking down these oddball plants :o) Dan

• argus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

Someone e-mailed me two sites that looked extremely professional, and I think I just tripled my Aroid collection between them. Dan, I guess you haven't mentioned your website, www.treasuredbotanicals.com, because of rules on self promotion, but this was one that was recommended to me and I was very happy with what I saw. I'm sure I will be even more impressed when the plants come in! The other recommendation was for dragocactoid.com and I was really impressed with this website as well.

I canÂt wait for my new plants to arrive, and even more so, for it to warm up so I can actually see what they look like!

Thanks,
    Robert

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Ken at Dragocactoid is a great guy as well as very knowledgeable. I can truly recommend him. I have e-mailed him many times and he always has lots of good info. I'm glad you liked the site.....my brothers work.....I just grow plants and take pics :o) Dan

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Dan, Dan, Dan....I had to find out thru the back door. You could have at least PM'd me, when I was begging for places to buy plants. Or, is this a "good old boy" forum?
    I hope not. I get enough of that with the dear old boys at the law office. Where is Planty when I need him?

Actually, you may get a lot of offers to share on this forum, when people divide plants in spring or fall, too. Generally speaking, folks are generous. As a beginner, I don't have too much, but have already shared an offset of my Colocasia macrorhiza which produced several this summer; most too close to the momma to safely cut off all but one. But, baby is doing fine and almost ready to go to her new abode.

So, it appears you are into the Mr. Stinkies, too? I'm gonna give konjac a whirl this spring, since it is suggested to be hardy to zone 7. Good luck. I've had lots of great buys, and some not-so-great buys of aroids, and am mostly into colocasias and alocasias, with a few arums and typhoniums thrown in for good luck.

Susan

• handspeakboy
    18 years ago

It doesnt seem that Dan is one to toot his own horn, but maybe I can do some tooting. I Highly reccomend ordering from him! You will get great healthy stuff. I just got my order.. I am very pleased.

Chris

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi Susan, I'm just a plant geek...science geek to.....Not trying to be a good ol' boy, although I lived in Alabama for 4 years :o) I just do my best to try and answer questions where I can here that's all.....I'm not looking for more than a place to discuss these fun plants, and I would surely not solicit!!

Chris, I hope that the Arisaema do well for you....in your neck of the woods I think they will be awesome!!

Happy Holidays all :o) Dan

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?