Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this an amorphophallus?

Posted by bihai z8B FL (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 6, 06 at 15:04

I got this as a trade today. It was about 3 ft tall. Unfortunately the plant was banged up in shipping and separated from the bulb, but it looks like an amorpho to me, but not one I can put my finger on. The bulbs are about the size of a fist. The trunk is appropriately mottled as shown. The leaves met in the center and had 3 main branches from the crown before continuing to branch.

Any help with ID appreciated
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this an amorphophallus?

OH NO , you now have the dreaded weed Gonatopus boivinii , or Kneebone plant . Every little bit of foliage that breaks off will form another bulb , nearly impossible to get rid of .

o

Not a problem up north here....can you say rot....I took the advice of a southern gardener and planted it in good ol' dirt (lots of peat).....rotted in no time....a great exmple of why you need to be careful of the climate zone you obtain cultural advice from :o) Dan

o

Uh oh I had better research this one, don't want an invasive...thanks, aroideana!

o
tropical

probably not a problem with invasiveness here, its tropical. Bulbs need to be lifted and kept at 40.

o

Ask Dewey Fisk about it . Actually a very attractive plant , and I have planted out massive rows of all the feral plants I collected while repotting . They are then harvested for the fantastic foliage of the stems . Florists love them , they last for months , saw a trendy magazine had a feature house and the interior decorator had bought several bunches of the stems , looked amazing in a vase with the bent stems leaning out .
Grow in very well drained media , and they look best in shade, that way the foliage is nice and flat like Amorphos , in bright light its all bunched up .

o

Is it more invasive than Amorph. konjac (a/k/a rivieri)?
I can't get rid of those. Even after 10 years, still have young one's popping up in the area where it was once planted. Obviously didn't get all of the long rhizomes and young tubers when I pulled it out.
Rb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here