Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best method to root zz plant

Posted by grabmebymyhandle 6 Kentucky (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 16:04

I know I know, they are like the easiest aroid on the block but I have a bad track record with them, I found a wonderful sport at lowes, its very small, with more narrow leaflets, its very nice.

It was all but dead, I talked them into letting me have it, all im left with is 2 "fronds", they are yellowing a bit, I haqve them in dry gritty mix, with a dome sitting on top loosely...

any advice on how to get them to root, I know its a slow process, ive rooted leaves and grow to decent sized plants, these just arent the best cutting material, or the right time of year...id really like to save them...any tip at all would be just fine...

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best method to root zz plant

Well if you've got two why not experiment? You could try one in water & in mix. I've done it both ways & didn't use a dome when doing it in dry mix (tho' that CAN take as long as a year). The one done in water, grew a small sized green tuber resembling a green pea & then grew a root as well.

The fact of their being a bit yellowed may not help, but oh well; nothing you can do abt that.

FYI: may not be that bad a time to try this, I noticed over the holiday one of my 2 ZZs is pushing out a new sprout. So maybe you CAN make this happen. Good luck.

o

I've done leaflet cuttings and 1 1/2 years later I have 1 lonely frond c 4 leaflets 2 " high...
Very slow going...

o

i scored a whole plant! good thing as the cutting dont look much better, ill try to do some pics some and highlight the differences between this and other zz's I have

I like this one the best...If only there was one with stems 10 feet tall...

o

Terrific!! I look forward to pix...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here