Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amorphophallus paeoniofolius tuber

Posted by houstonpat 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 16:58

This year's large tuber weighs in, after some drying, at 30lbs even. Not the largest I've grown, but should make for a nice flower in the spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amorphophallus paeoniofolius tuber

side view upsidedown

o

I thought it was better to keep amorphophallus tubers in soil with a little bit of moisture through dormancy?

I guess I was mistaken eh. What kind of temperatures do you usually keep them in through dormancy? I'm guessing the 50-60F range sounds appropiate for 4 months.

My a titanum plants are just barely coming out of the soil from seed so I'm near where you are at.

o

again..wow houstonpat!!! u grow amorphs and amaryllis..
i think u are a kindred spirit..:)
my paeonifollius did ok this last season.. i dont think i had it
in large enough pot.. and i am way to stingy in fertilizing..
the petiole was good sized..its size enough to flower this spring..yea!!
?? as steve asked..do you keep your paeonifollius dry stored?? i guess u r in houston..so u do have more "natural humidity:" than most of us..utah here..
i have to dormant store my paeonofollius in just barely moist potting mix.. then pot up early spring ..when i see petiole show..then i start more watering..and fertilizing..

o

I place the large tubers in cardboard boxes in a cabinet in the house. Small tubers I submerge in milled peat moss, in a paper bag. Also in the cabinet. Temperature averages 65-72F. After removing the soil I brush them and spray them with fungicide. I have had problems leaving them in pots. Bugs and rot.

o

I succeeded in rotting out the first tuber of the species that I attempted several years ago, and never tried it again. I forget the specifics but I think I left it in the pot over the winter, which was probably my biggest offense. Lesson learned! Your results are an inspiration--perhaps time to try it again? Any pictures?

--Rr in CT

o

This is a photo from April of 2013.

o

Wow! That's impressive!

I think this konjac aspires to being a titan? What are the dimensions of the flower?

--Rr

o

This one is about 20" tall by 18" wide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here