Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomellain

What to do with aerial roots?

AndrewH
18 years ago

I recently bought a Monstera deliciosa with lots of aerial roots. A couple of the roots are huge, one up to three feet in length, no joke. So...what do I do with these things? I know that I can direct them towards the soil, which works well for the shorter ones that reach the soil, but what about the long ones? Coil them around the inside of the pot on top of the soil? Trim them?

If I direct them to another pot with soil will they root and sprout a new plant?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Comments (7)

• keiko2
    18 years ago

If you have room for a very large plant, the best thing to do is to pin them to a totem pole to continue to develop more roots. Totems made of compressed coir are available at home centers here, but if you can't find them or they don't have any large enough for your plant, you can fashion your own from a cylinder of poultry mesh (aka chicken wire) filled with a mix of about half sphagnum/ half perlite or half sphagnum/half very coarse sand.

If they ever get out of control huge in relatively cool Vancouver, cut the root ball from the totem and plant in another pot.

Keiko

• AndrewH
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the replies!

I like the idea of the poulty screen filled with moss. I think I'll wait till spring and repot, anchoring the screen at the bottom of the new pot.

It's a mixed planting with the monstera, a Spathiphyllum, Syngonium podophyllum, and something else. If this were yours would you leave it as such or would you separate the various plants?

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

This is essentially "fish emulsion", Hermann, so I am wondering if it would do the same thing for our other aroids? I have been told to feed my alocasias/colocasias with a high phosphorus fertilizer, but I can't say that I noticed any superior leaf growth, but they did flower (which phosphorous does promote). However, I'd like to get more foliage growth out of them. I did also use some chicken manure, too (small amounts), but I'm thinking perhaps the fish emulsion would be more effective for foliage growth?

I don't know too much about philos or meconostigmas, but I did notice several growing in our building the other day. We have an open atrium, and there are tons of spaths and some kind of philo with a trilobe leaf. The spaths are the biggest ones I've ever seen anywhere. The leaves are about 3-4' long and about 1' wide, and that's probably guessing on the small side. I'd love to get a cutting of the philo, but don't know the first thing about it, and would call the guy who provides the indoor landscaping (I know him) and see if he'd let me take one, or would take one for me.

Susan

• arumgrande
    18 years ago

Hi Susan, thanks for you interest. But I have two problems ( with this ): Only little experience with fertilizing aroids and not being able to translate fish emulsion. May I translate a word in quotes litterally? Is it a brand? I can only guess what brought my little experiment to success. It was the combination of HQl-light, hydrophonic culture with additional water and very low concentrated fertilizer without fear for rot ( soil-less culture ). And as well as Keiko's totem pole it is a good possibility to give additional nutrition to a monocotyledon(?) plant. ( Arial roots of Monstera aren't really arial roots but "hoping" terrestrial roots. ) And I don't know whether to transfer this to a more concentrated fertilizer. Aroids without "arial" roots can be placed in a pot of clay with quartz gravel on the surface of an aquarium with more-or-less contact per the bottom of the pot to the aquarium water. I once saw a good growing simple Spatyphyllum in this.
    Good growing and a
    Happy New Year
    hermann

• keiko2
    18 years ago

Hermann- Fish emulsion is a ferilizer made from fish "tankage" which may also be difficult to translate. Basically, this is an extract from ground viscera and bones from saltwater fish. It's very high in nitrogen, phosphorus and trace elements which makes it a favorite with organic gardeners. Here in Dallas where soils are heavy and poorly drained and humidity is high in the summer, it has the disadvantage of promoting bacterial diseases. It used to be very stinky, but now here, they just sell the "Minty Fresh" version that smells like mouthwash :-)

Keiko

• arumgrande
    18 years ago

Thanks Keiko, we call this "Fischmehl" i.e. ( dry ) ground fish, think it is used to feed animals like poultry or fish.
    Bye
    hermann

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County