Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Dormant Konjac?

gcmastiffs
18 years ago

I'm a beginner with this plant. In October, my lovely potted Voodoo Lily turned yellow and collapsed during a cool snap. As per instructions from reading previous GW posts, I dug it up and placed it in a paper bag to go dormant.

I looked in the bag yesterday. There are now 2 protuberances coming from the very dry root ball. One is pointy, the other still roundish.

Do I ignore this and leave it dry and in the dark? Or pot it up, water it, and move inside as needed?

It has been in the bag since October 19th. It only had one stem before it collapsed, now it has 2.

Thank you..

Lisa

Comments (11)

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Lisa,I would say by all means let it go dormant,however, also wait for an expert to post. Usually after the one leaf dies, it's time for it to go to sleep. :) Arum

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Arun, but I didn't phrase my concern very well - I'm worried that it has broken dormancy already, due to the heat here. How long do they need to stay in the bag? Mine looks like it is waking up.

Is it normal/correct for the roots to be bone-dry during this time?

Lisa

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Yes, bone dry roots is fine, but it should be kept in a COOL place to keep it dormant. :)

• beachplant
    18 years ago

Several of mine refuse to go dormant. Of course it's close to 70 today and supposed to be almost 80 tomorrow. I noticed one planted in the yard that is sending up a new leaf. Good luck! Tally HO!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Is it necessary to even uproot it in Florida? And, if so, is it because you want to give it dormancy that it would not otherwise get in Florida? If that's so, you would have to put it in the refrigerator for a certain number of months I would think.

Like daffodils or tulips, for instance. You can grow them in Florida, but you have to dig them up after they go dormant and refrigerate them for at least 3 or 4 months (required dormancy/cold period) to get them to bloom.

If it doesn't require dormancy, there would be no need to even dig it up.

Susan

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Lisa, sorry, I did it again! Didn't look to see what area you are from! Susan is right, no need to dig! :) Arum

• handspeakboy
    18 years ago

I think that konjac actually does require some sort of cold dormancy .. I have heard in several instances that without this type of dormancy konjac has a tendancy to get smaller and smaller each season until it is no more..

Though if you were to try Amorphophallus paeoniifolius..one that us northerners have an extreme hard time with .. but one you should be able to grow without any problems... This one can grow to quite large praportions ...

Chris

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Can you point us to some authority on this dormancy issue? I would like to be sure myself. Thanks, Chris.

Susan

• handspeakboy
    18 years ago

I cant really point you to an authority ... this is just something I have heard a few times while cruizing the plant message boards.. You might do some searching in the Aroid-l archives..Lots of good tidbits there

Chris

• ARUM
    18 years ago

Chris, do they go dormant where they are natives? It certainly IS a good question as to whether they need to go dormant or not. Dan? Oh - Dan?.....

• sleeplessinftwayne
    18 years ago

I missed a few last fall when I was digging them up and to my amazement they all came back better than before. I'm in zone 5. The dormant ones also came back even though they got a bit warmer in storage than I liked. Apparently if the time is not too long it won't hurt them. This is a tough plant. Sandy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!