Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dena_eft

Konjacs Everywhere.

dena_eft
14 years ago

They are coming up everywhere here in the north. how big can they get outside without rotting? Thanks, Arum

Comments (8)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Well my spring 4 pound Konjac became a 13 pounder when I dug her up and she went to sleep this fall! 11 1/2" across. I had several nickle sized corms grow into tennis ball size by fall. They grow FAST when grown the right way!

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Tommy. :) I maight try it, without digging them up and see. I'll keep a few inside just in case. :) arum

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

I leave some in the ground every year......I'm in zone 6 and they usually survive......easy plant as Tommy has learned :o) Dan

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HEY DAN!!!! Thought you were long gone. I've had an extended vacation myself so to speak. A few years ago I got discouraaged when my big Konjac split, and I was trying to make a record at seeing how big I could get it. I was most disappointed. Still,guess I could try again. Tommy, a 13 pounder, now thats a good sized bulb! :)Arum

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

And here is that 13 lb. corm!

{{gwi:394061}}

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my, what a beauty! Tommy, I bet you wouldn't have a problem shipping that baby to Baltimore. I got a nice spot for it on my porch this spring. I'm surprized it didn't split long ago,and what a flower you're going to have! Don't envy you the smell though. :) Arum

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

Hey Arum,

I rarely check in here anymore as my tastes have changed to mostly South African bulbs/geophytes (along with some caudiciforms), but still have a bunch of Am. konjac and maybe another dozen species with just a couple tubers of each.......a few dozen T. venosum (or Sauromatum again maybe?) and a few Zantedeschia. I just realized I had grown too many because they could be had rather than them being beautiful plants.....the foliage is, but the influorescence got old after a few dozen!!

That is a beauty of a tuber and will produce a nice influorescence in another 2-3 months :o) Dan

• dena_eft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes Dan, the novelity wore off after a while, after I didn't get the giant "influorescence" ( :) )I wanted from a GIANT tuber, but you know, I just might try again. Anyway, my interest gravitated over to Morning Glories,(not to mention Grandchildren), and vines in general. Vines have always been interesting to me, and I grow at least some special MG's severy year. Life changes doesn't it? It's really nice though to know there are still some folks here that I knew before during my obsession. :) Arum