Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Does Anyone Grow Aroids Indoors (not Greenhouse)?

susanlynne48
18 years ago

I was just wondering. I am still dreaming of that extra space I'll have one day - you know the one - that back room, which I call my sunny room - not a sunroom, but it is very bright, with south facing sliding doors, a very large East window, and one in which I can also add flourescent lighting to eventually as well. I can set up a humidifier, too.

Do you think that would be sufficient for growing some of the aroids, like philos and anthuriums that cannot be grown outside in my climate? The room is not that big, but a good 180 to 200 sf. Fairly low ceiling. But I can just see a nice climber in there starting at the front and climbing up to the ceiling and across toward the sliders....sigh. This is as close as I'll ever get to a greenhouse. It does have a heat vent, but I keep it closed off. The room stays pretty cool in winter--about 50-55 degrees in the evening, a bit cooler at night, but not much; a bit warmer in the day when the sun is shining. I do have vertical blinds that can be arranged to allow no light to great gobs of light.

Any other suggestions?

Susan

Comments (7)

• holly_c
    18 years ago

I think the humidity would be the crucial thing. I have 12 anthuriums growing and blooming profusely. I am the groomer in a veterinary clinic and they spend the winter in my grooming room. There are huge windows that make up the southern wall of the room and the plants are all by the windows. The humidity is always high in the room as I bathe about 15 dogs a day in there. The southern exposure lighting seems to be just perfect for them. Many are doing better there then they were outside here during the summer. Once a week I put them all in the bathtubs and spray them down with warm water which not only gives them a drink; but, also washes off the layer of dog fur that collects on them!

• bihai
    18 years ago

Of course!
    I have 3- 30 gallon pots with ALocasia "Purple Prince", Alocasia loweii Grandis, and Alocasia "Polly" that have been houseplants for many years...the Grandis almost 10 years! They have always been happy in the house, the occasional outbreak of mealies controlled by dishsoap and oil or Neem. These are large multi trunked plants. They have never been outdoor plants.

I have a collection of Anthurium andreanums, about 12 off the top of my head, different cultivars, that live inside all the time. They bloom all the time.

I have a huge 36" planter with a very large Monstera deliciosa that stays in by the dining room table year round. This plant is truly a "monster" no pun intended.

Now, as of last month, I have a nice planter with Anthurium scandens hanging in my bathroom window, cuttings I took from my mother plant which is huge in a 20 gallon pot. Also some pothos (green and white variegated and green and yellow variegated) growing in the window. Also some huge pots of long trailing epiphytic jungle cacti sitting on the top ledge of my shower and trailing down about 4-5 ft on either side of the shower enclosure.

Then I have three philos...a "Lemon Lime", an "Autumn" and a "Prince of Orange" that grow in the windows in the sunroom and den. These are year round houseplants.

All do very well.

I also maintain a very large sansevieria collection indoors year round.

• handspeakboy
    18 years ago

I am not much of an expert in this but, I have had fairly good success growing amorphophallus indoors. IT seems that amorphs, if they are started under shady conditions do fairly well.. I grew a tuber of A. Dunnii from one inches to a nice heavy 3 inches in an indoor window that is bright but not all that much. I was shocked! I have also seen a good increase in size for small little bulbs of A. konjac in the same window.

I did some misting every now and then.. kept track on my watering( not to water too much)

Though, I have had problems doing this with A. bulbifer. Every time I bring one indoors the leaves start to curl. I dont think I can prodivde it with enough humidity.

Chris

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Have you tried running one of the cool mist humidifiers, Chris? I think the small ones can be run on about a gallon or two of water for 24 hours. And I know you can get larger ones. Just wondered how effective they would be in a room.

Susan

• bigdopeywhiteboy
    18 years ago

Aroids indoors?...ummmmmmm....well.....10 by 16 ft room...floor covered in waterproof covering with cushioned mats over....walls lined with cut to fit tempered hardboard covered in 2 mil Mylar....1000W Hortilux Blue MH on LightRail 3 running down the center of the room...humidity/ventilation controller for humidifier/fans.....sides of room lined with 18 inch depth Metro shelving the length of room .......

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

Susan,

I grow Alocasia 'New Guinea Gold', 'X portora' and 'Polly', as well as an anthurium and a host of philos indoors. I have a humidifier in each room. You just have to be careful of mites with the EE's, as they seem to attract them. Anyways, these plants all do well indoors. I use Neem as a preventative every other week. Works very well.

GH

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GH - oooo - can't do the Neem - small granddaughter and 4 large cats. Plus I don't do well with chemicals myself. If they get mites and die, then die they will have to do. I wouldn't think that mites (you are talking spider, right?) would be such a big problem with the humidity provided by the humidifiers, no? Spider mites like very, very dry conditions. Maybe 2 humidifiers in each room? LOL! And just washing the plants off with soap and water would help, too. I had a grandmotherly teacher who used to tell me there wasn't anything you couldn't handle so long as you had good old soap and water! She grew the most beautiful plants this side of the Mississippi!

I am not an indoor house plant gal - yet. As I keep repeating myself (it has become my mantra), once the kiddoes are gone and I am able to open up this space in my back room - in go the plants that I absolutely MUST have and cannot winter over otherwise outdoors.

The walls of the room are even made of rough cedar, so I could hang some tillandsias back here, too, and turn it into a real jungle. Well, if it weren't for the cats....I could have a bird, too. Ca-caw, Ca-caw! Echos of the South Pacific.....

Susan