Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

BIG Stingray Alocasia....care?

PoohBearLvr
10 years ago

I think the Stingray is an aroid/alocasia,isn't it? I got a HUGE one at Lowes the other day. I had a mini one that got spider mites so fast and died in less than a week!

Can anyone tell me its care. Is it an 'elephants ear' plant? does it need full sun or deep shade? I am in south Fla. it was in full sun at Lowes, but I don't know for how long. A day or a week. Can anyone give me some idea how to keep it alive and to actually grow! Since our soil is 99.9% sand. do I amend the soil with ...manure, 'garden soil',muck, anything? Hope I have the right forum. If not, where should I post?

Comments (4)

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    i grow 25 different kinds of alocasia/colocasia though not sting ray. . Most are very hardy except for full sun and drying out so I grow mine in pots due to the florida sand..
    . If you want to plant it in the ground I'd certainly enrich the soil and provide plenty of water until it gets established . In at least partial shade. gary

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. Can I leave it in its 3 gallon pot, and grow it on my enclosed back porch, bright but no direct sun. It is BIG, big for this variety I think, about 4ft tall and 5 nice wide full leaves with nice long 'stings' on them. And a baby popping out of the soil now. Since my last one got spider mites SO fast, is this one likely to get them? Or is it big enough now, that mites wont be interested?

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Sounds good . have never had much of a bug problem with Alo/colo. One reason they are high on my fav list lol
    You could always treat for spidermites ?. Obviously the larger the plant the hardier it will be ?? gary

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Stingray is a form of alocasia odora, I think...
    One of the most common EE around!
    As youngsters they can be a bit touchy, once they get up to that size, full dun should be fine, don't bake it tho, and if it's in full sun, DONOT let it dry out!

As for the mites...good luck! Once you got em, you got em!
    There's a whole slew of treatments that vary in effect, avid and azamax work well, but will likely only hold them at bay, they love little stingrays!
    It's highly unlikely they killed your previous plant, they grow from a tuber, had you cut the leaves off and given it proper care it most likely would have resprouted...whatever you got a nice one now!

That big plant will have numerous offset tubers underground, they won't grow until seperated from the mother, you can do this yourself when you repot it, or eventually they will do it themselves...

I'd say 3G pot is ok for now, but it's too small to sustain that plant. It's all pumped up from the grower and will recede some naturally.

Heavily am men's your soil, or as suggested, keep it potted.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths