Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Amorphophallus galbra

tropicbreezent
9 years ago

Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and the old titanum one reached its limit. So started this new one hoping you'd pick up on the title.

I went out the other day to check an area for galbra. Looks like I missed the flowering, there were only well developed fruits and lots of plants. The fruits are still very green, they're red when ripe. So still a good few weeks off. Let me know if you still want some.

Re your last post on the other thread, the bulbifers could be a problem here too. They're suited to a monsoonal climate so would survive the dry by going dormant and then taking off again in the wet. Those little tubers they produce on the leaves are the problem, they scatter so easily.

I was in the Daintree last week, helping friends with a house they're doing up. It was quite dry for that area, only occasional light rain. Looked around for the Calamus caryotoides but didn't see any. There only seemed to be the australis and moti. One moti had a huge cluster of seeds, they looked spectacular. Of course, the plant itself just looks too daunting. Come to think of it, the only caryotoides I recall seeing previously was on the Tablelands, Mossman Gorge and Mt Whitfield behind Cairns. If you do find seed I'd still like some thanks.

Comments (9)

• robfnq
    9 years ago

Tropic,

Sorry to not have responded, but I just discovered this new thread while cruisin' for A. galbra sources. I'd love some seeds of galbra if I'm not too late.

I just sent a email off to the Cairns Botanical Gardens today to see if they might want to swap one of their A. galbra seedlings for one of my healthy 7 month old titanums which is not genetically related to the titanums they had on display before they dozed the old Flecker House to build a new display area (sadly, it seems to be still a work in progress as I think they've run out of money).

I definitely have Calamus caryotoides on my property here. I've also found it at nearby Lake Eacham. As soon as I see seed, they're yours if you are still interested in introducing it to your block up in the N.T. Caryotoides is definitely not as savage as C. moti, but it still can be a bit of a pest in places where it builds up, especially along pathways.

My 7 month old A. titanum seedling...

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally after a lot of trouble managed to get my account with the "new site" sorted but there were changes, notably the user name.

For anyone else who experienced problems with confirmation of the account similar to mine, here's how I got around it.

After a number of emails to HOUZZ Support and them making suggestions it seemed nothing was going to work. They seem to have given up and stopped replying to me. Trying to confirm again was told that I already had an account but when trying to log in always got the same error message to check my username and password.

Eventually thought I'd click on the forgotten password button and see what happened. The email I received to change my password had my user name as "webuser_273549". So I changed my password and logged in okay. Then went into my profile and tried to change my user name to the old tropicbreezent. It said name already taken. So changed it to tropicbreezehouzz, and that's what I am now.

So for anyone else who's still having problems try that and you might be okay. Best of luck.

• robfnq
    9 years ago

Tropic,

Hence the reason I couldn't get back to you on the A. galbra email you sent me. Bit of a stuff up on the change over. I ended up so frustrated with the situation that I canned the whole thing!

Anyhow, here I am back again, but not overly enamoured with the new format. Yes, I would like to obtain an A. galbra tuber from you if it is no problem.

Thanks,

Rob

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rob, after all my emails they said they'd amalgamate my old account with the new name and give me my old name back. "The more things change, the more they remain the same".

Remind me again at the end of the season about the tuber. They go dormant endish May or in June. Although this year being so dry they may go earlier.

• robfnq
    9 years ago

Tropic,

Many thanks, will do when the time comes. In the meantime, anything you need from around here, let me know. I can't see any sign of flowering on the local fishtail lawyer vine yet. I'll keep an eye peeled.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rob, when I was in the Daintree last November/December I found Calamus moti with lots of mature seed. I'd guess C caryotoides would be the same, end of dry season.

• robfnq
    9 years ago

Tropic,

Makes sense, but on a walk around Lake Eacham today I didn't see any sign of seed or flowers. I'll venture off the track tomorrow and check a bit closer.

Birds seem to be pretty keen on the seeds. We have C. caryotoides all through our house rainforest which, 35+ years ago, was a maize/dairy cow paddock with not a tree in sight. I'm wondering if they don't flower higher up in the canopy.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the seeds would be all gone now. As I said, about 2.5 months ago the C. moti were mature, would be long gone by now. Probably October/November is the best time. I found my palm book but it doesn't give a time of year for flowering/seeding.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!