Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Taiwan growers?

Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 11, 06 at 0:12

Anyone gardening in Taiwan? I really want some Taiwan grown fruits after watching this video, click on the 56k or 300k. I never pictured that country as such a huge producer of crops but check it out, they grow everything from grapes to wax jambus, wow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruits of Taiwan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Taiwan growers?

• Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 0:48

bump bump =)

o

well, I am american in Taiwan and married to a national. actually, my dh is from the mountains in the video you saw (i looked at it too). they can grow lots here. in my area it is known for watermelon, pineapple and shakya (a "buddah head" fruit some may call it as it is green with bumps!)
I am not much of a gardener, actually just trying stuff for the first time in my 9.5yrs of living in Taiwan. I am planting cauliflower, carrots, green beans and tomatoes. I want a mango tree so bad (would save us lots of money if we had our own!) but dh says they have too many bugs. my dhs' family still lives in the mountains and farms, wish they would send us more veggies!!!
Deana

o

• Posted by goted z8-9 Van, CAN (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 12, 06 at 13:00

Hi Deana,

I was walking in the Taiwan central mountains a few years ago. Wow! They are full of interesting plants.
Where in Taiwan do you live? My base was Taichung.
By the way, Happy Birthday!!

o

Thank you:-)

We live in Taitung, the east coast. There is an Air Force Base out here (Taiwanese of course). We live right next to the Pacific Ocean, beautiful here in our area........mountains on one side, ocean on the other. My dh is from the central mountains....Li Shan, a village up there. They used to be pear orchards, but now mainly his family does veggies BUT his uncle has a peach orchard and every summer brings down aobu 10 boxes of the most delicious peaches!!!!! I learned how to make a peach pie and peach cobbler:-p

o

Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 2:06

Thanks for the info Panshrmu. I find the range of fruits that are being grown there are amazing. Shakya? Is that an atemoya like the ones pictured in the video?

o

eggo, searching around on google, I found a photo that suggested a shakya is a sugar apple. I'm not familiar with that term here in Hong Kong.

Here all anona fruit are known as "foreign lychee".

o

Thu, Mar 16, 06 at 2:24

Daai, "Foreign Lychee????" that's an interesting name for Anonas.

o

The local Chinese names for foreign fruits are often "Foreign" plus the name of some local fruit.

And if I imagined a baseball/softball sized green lychee, it might look something like a sugar apple.

o

Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 1:30

now that you mention it. a red sugar apple does kind of have some kind of resemblance to a giant lychee.

o

This discussion is making me a little nostalgic. I have not been back to Taiwan since I was five. I remember eating many delicious foods but have no idea what they were!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here