Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aspidistra Query

Posted by Penny007 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 6:31

Hi all - I live in Malaysia and own a very healthy aspidistra - or at least it was until three weeks ago. At that time it started to produce drops of clear sticky liquid on the underside of its leaves. Hundreds of them per leaf. It still looks green and healthy and full ( it is about 2-3 feet high and 3-4 feet in diameter) but is producing this sticky fluid. Nothing has changed in the way it is being cared for in the last two years - same location, same water, same temperature. The only thing I have never done is provide any plant food - but would this cause the issue I have described? Appreciate any advice you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aspidistra Query

You have a sap sucking insect called scale on the back of the leaf if you look you will see lots of small green to dark green bumps. this is the insect. to control it wash the leaves with soapy water. or spray with white oil as long as the temperature will not exceed 30 c in the next week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here