Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardens in China to Visit

Posted by bluesloth z8 OR (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 23:01

In march I will be visiting Hong Kong, Guilin/Yangshuo area and Beijing.

Anyone know of any particularly stunning gardens/parks to visit while I am there. I won't have much time, but would still like to see some if I can fit it in.

Beijing will still be a little cold, so I would definitely want there to be some winter interest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardens in China to Visit

Gardens to visit in Hong Kong?

March 3-12 will be the Hong Kong Flower Show in Victoria Park.

Otherwise, you can visit the Conservatory in Hong Kong Park on Hong Kong Island. The Park is a nice walk anyway and the Consevatory has some interesting specimens, like durian and cacao.

If you want to get out of the city and travel up to the New Territories, there is Kadoorie Farms and Botanical Gardens. Be warned though to bring comfortable/hiking shoes, water, and dress appropriately. 1475 foot elevation difference between the entrance to Kadoorie Farms and the top of the gardens. But there are some lovely gardens to check out.

o

An update to the dates above:

The Humid House at the Conservatory in Hong Kong Park will be closed through the end of March. That is where the durian and cacao trees are located.

But the dry house and the show room are still open and there are some interesting specimens to check out.

o

A 1989 book on roses mentions the Fa Tee Nursery "2-3 miles upriver from Canton", visited both by an English explorer in the 1840s & a garden writer nemed Hazel Le Rougetel in her 1981 book "A Heritage of Roses"... she called it "Hwa Di" in the Cantonese dialect...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here