Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peaseblossom_gw

Fruit trees from seed

peaseblossom
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've heard it's pretty easy to grow Annona squamosa (sugar apple) from seed (they fruit in 2 years); what else have you had success growing from seed? There's something fun about seed-growing, but of course not if you have to wait 10 years for substandard fruit! I am so looking forward to getting back to a tropical climate so I can experiment:)

Comments (7)

• daai_tou_laam
    18 years ago

My year-old durian are looking pretty ratty after the winter, but they are still alive.

The best of my jackfruit is doing a lot better than it should be. The others are showing issues with pots being too small for too long. "note to self: growing jackfruit in a 3 inch pot is not the path to success.>

The mangos are doing okay, though they are showing the ill effects of the winter monsoons and their high winds and low humidity as well.

The lychee is still a runt, but I'm hoping that a full spring/summer growing season will cure that this year.

The guava seeds are a breeze to grow.

The various citrus "lemons, mandarins, shatin pumelo> are all doing well.

The latest seeds to germinate are a couple of date palms, some salak "snake skin fruit>, another anona "some giant import from Australia>, some passion fruit, and kefir limes.

• peaseblossom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, daai tou laam! How long do all these take to fruit? I know passion fruit, annona, and guavas don't take too long, but what about the rest? Sounds fun to try:)

• Eggo
    18 years ago

Daai tou lamm! Durians!! Cool, I'm also experimenting with them too, they came out of the winter all beat up but are finally are now showing signs of growth. They're in an unheated greenhouse right now. I think I have a chance. I have 2 that seems almost dwarf like, very healthy and green but much much slower grower than the others.

• daai_tou_laam
    18 years ago

Most of these will take years and honestly, I may never see fruit or edible fruit from any of them. But sprouting the seeds is only a byproduct of getting to eat the fruit I buy.

Which reminds me that I've got some durian seeds and mango seeds waiting in the refrigerator for me to clean off. ;)

• Eggo
    18 years ago

lucky you, I just bought a fresh durian. It cost a fortune but didn't really ripen too well. =(

• californian
    14 years ago

You can eat Jackfruit seeds. When boiled they taste like potatoes.

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

trifoliate orange/ponceris, plum, limes,

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery