Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jade Vine in Philippines

Posted by mariava7 z7VA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 7:48

I would just like to share this pic of a jade vine flower grown in the Philippines in my mother's garden. Beside it is my 8 year old daughter. This vine grows up a tree and blooms all year long.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jade Vine in Philippines

Both the vine and your daughter are exquisite:) How old is the vine? Can it be propogated from seed?

o

Thank you peaseblossom! I think my mom says that the vine is like 3-4 years old. No she cannot get it to seed. She said that in other provinces it would seed and needs insects to polinate it. She sprays in her nursery so that might be one of the causes, killing beneficial insects too. Some growers are successful in propagating this plant through cuttings.

o
Ooooops...correction

I just talked to my mom and she said that that particular vine is just a year old...

o

Wow, can't wait to be able to grow this--looks like a fast grower! The red version looks amazing as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Jade Vine

o

Yes it is ...is that the New Guinea Creeper? I remember seeing a big specimen of that plant in Manila and it is more into orange than red. Where was that red one grown?

o

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Mucuna bennetti is usually called "Red Jade Vine" and Mucuna novo-guineensis is usually called "New Guinea Creeper." The one in the pic was grown in Maui, Hawaii, according to the site!

o

Thanks for the info...I've been searching for info about these jade vine specially ones with different colored flower. What site was it?

o

The picture was from Flowers of Maui

o

Does anyone have any seeds of the jade vine... I dont care on the color..I think I could grow it here in the south...thank you Jody

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here